[News] Kernel Mode-Setting with ATI in Linux

Testing Out ATI Kernel Mode-Setting On Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Kernel mode-setting for Intel graphics hardware can already be found in the
| mainline Linux kernel and will be included by default in the release of
| Ubuntu 9.10 later this year. While Intel's kernel mode-setting support has
| been maturing in a steadfast manner, this support has not been moving along
| quite as fast for ATI and NVIDIA hardware. It is possible we will see ATI/AMD
| kernel mode-setting along with the necessary memory management support enter
| the Linux 2.6.31 kernel and potentially see this feature appear in Ubuntu
| 9.10 as an end-user option, but currently this support is still deemed under
| development.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_ati_kms&num=1

Recent:

Red Hat's Plymouth Sees New Work

,----[ Quote ]
| Not a lot of work has gone into Red Hat's Plymouth project since the release
| of Fedora 10, but now in the middle of the development cycle of Fedora 11 we
| are seeing some new work emerge. Plymouth is a boot splash program that
| leverages kernel mode-setting to provide a rich, flicker-free boot
| experience. In the past week there have been a fair number of commits to the
| Plymouth Git repository, which is the first time it has seen new work since
| early January.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzExOA

The State of Kernel Mode-Setting

,----[ Quote ]
| All of the kernel-based mode-setting excitement in Fedora 9 was limited to
| those using Intel's integrated graphics hardware. With Fedora 10 not only can
| Intel users benefit but so can those with ATI Radeon hardware. Jerome Glisse
| has been working on Radeon kernel mode-setting code since December of last
| year, and in recent months David Airlie and Adam Jackson have joined in on
| this work. For those using an ATI R300 GPU to R500 will have kernel-based
| mode-setting support enabled by default in this next Fedora release. A few
| months back AMD had released a new AtomBIOS parser to the open-source
| community, which is being used for the KMS driver and should enter the
| mainline Linux kernel -- likely with Linux 2.6.28.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=xorg_kms_2008&num=1

A Preview Of Kernel-Based Mode-Setting

,----[ Quote ]