Re: [News] Is Washington Illegalising Free Software with Tax

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Homer on Sunday:

>>> Can Washington Charge Unauthorized Downloaders With Tax
>>> Evasion?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090602/2349035107.shtml
>>
>> It's just another step on the road to corporatism, with the
>> corporations as the New World Government, and the
>> Intellectual Monopolists as the new World Police. Along with
>> other initiatives, like ACTA, its purpose is to pervert
>> civil matters into criminal violations, so 10 year old girls
>> can be subject to more severe criminal penalties, for such
>> heinous crimes as "listening to music".
>
> Or teenagers texting each other photos of themselves. When you
> criminalise someone, you control him/her upon will.

The law ought to be for punishing the breaker thereof, and ought
to be scaled not for punishing the innocent.  However, I have
seen changes in law that are not good.  For example, in US there
was a change where that the law abiding citizen was limited on
how much over the counter (OTC) medication with decongestants
could be purchased, which was 2 boxes.

Problem with that is people who live a good distance from the
nearest pharmacy, grocery or sundry, who had several members
including children with allergies, would have to visit that store
more frequently, or visit a doctor and get prescription drugs, at
considerably more cost.

This measure basically appeared to have a sense of law
enforcement that was ineffective at best.  It does not shut down
the professional crack houses, because they have their own
sources aside from the local pharmacy.

However, weasel wording for someone signing contained verbiage on
receipts about purchase of more than a certain quantity, which
means that if I picked up more than 2 boxes a week, although from
other source out of state could be prosecuted.

Thus, I could become a criminal, although I purchased a couple
more boxes.  I used to purchase 4 or 5, then have about a 60 - 90
day supply of medication.  Also, they forced the drug companies
to reformulate several OTC medications and drop some, that were
extremely effective antihistamines, when allergy problems were
severe.  These are no longer available and even the prescribed
stuff has nothing that has worked satisfactorily.

Thus, they have caused the innocent to suffer when they should
have been actively pursuing the law breakers and successfully
prosecuting them with appropriate (just) sentences.

The US is literally becoming a police state, with Homeland
Security nothing more than a Gestapo front, IMHO.  That is what
Germany started out with, and all we need now is a dictatorial
type presidential leadership.

Getting back to the issue of music, I think the industry has gone
mad.  I can understand downloading of high quality music that one
has not purchased of an artist's work, who is still living and
owed a just royalty.  There ought to be prosecution of such.

However, to prosecute someone for using his legitimate backup
copies when he / she has proof of the original (original CD /
DVD, receipt of download purchase, etc.), is unjust.

Also, for a group to sing around the campfire of a non-profit
organisation in a non-profit camp (or even public park) larger
than a single family unit with a legally purchased CD / DVD
running in the boom box ought not be prosecuted.

When I start seeing inspection stations at state borders checking
for suspect media in motor vehicles, then I will know we have
truly arrived at police state status.

Hail the new fuhrer! (not).

--
HPT