[News] Enormous New List of GNU/Linux Applications That Are great

Huge index:

New cool list of Linux must-have programs

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been approximately two years since I've written the first article, A
| (cool) list of Linux tools. The article proved quite popular with my
| audience, as it allowed Linux users, new converts in particular, a quick
| taste of some of the more useful programs available for Linux platforms,
| across a range of categories.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/new-cool-list-linux.html

More in:

The Three Best Linux Media Centers

,----[ Quote ]
| Let me first start off by saying that someone is likely going to be very
| angry at me for omitting program x, y, z or Miro. Please express that anger
| in the comments below. The three media centers I list are my favorites. All
| of them integrate easily with MythTV by adding a simple menu item, and each
| work greats with remotes and looks good on your TV. MythTV itself might
| qualify in this category. However, I find Myth makes a good OS (mythbuntu)
| and PVR (with a great web interface), but I think it is fairly awful at
| organizing your media and playing web vids. So, I leave it out of the media
| center category. I personally run a Mythbuntu system with the following three
| media centers installed on top of MythTV to organize my local media and watch
| web content.
`----

http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=204

Web development made easy with Bluefish and KompoZer

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're interested in starting a website, then Bluefish and KompoZer should
| get you started - and much more. If you're more experienced and geared toward
| dynamic websites, Bluefish seems a better candidate. If you're a novice or
| prefer a simpler interface, with fewer options, you should use KompoZer.
|
| Still, neither Bluefish nor KompoZer will force you to use the advanced
| features, if you don't feel like it. You can keep them away and start using
| them once you get confident enough with HTML. This promises an adaptive
| learning curve best suited for your needs.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/html-editors.html

AbiWord - the underestimated word processor

,----[ Quote ]
| AbiWord is small, light, fast, free, cross-platform, portable, and will do
| everything you need, including unbelievable perks like equations in LaTeX,
| Computer Modern fonts or the presentation mode. It also supports many file
| formats, like DOCX, and right-to-left languages. All that in modest 25MB of
| space, either on Windows, Linux or Mac.
|
| Sounds like a definite keeper.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/abiword.html

Miro - Internet TV

,----[ Quote ]
| If you dislike the concepts of interactive media, Web 2.0 and whatnot, you
| will probably find Miro inadequate for your needs and prefer instead a more
| classic player, like perhaps Amarok or Totem or VLC. If you like to explore
| the Internet in search of movies and music, including only previews, teasers,
| short documentaries, news podcasts, and anything else that makes sounds or
| animates images, Miro will be a nice addition to your arsenal.
|
| It's streamlined and good-looking, it works well, it has numerous features
| that will make your quest for data faster and more pleasurable. Overall, Miro
| seems like an interesting program. Alongside Vuze, it should serve your Web
| needs well, especially if you prefer to do it without leaving your desktop
| and opening the browser.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/miro.html

GNU/Linux has a huge number of great applications. To suggest otherwise is to
spread FUD.

Related:

Run the Palm OS on your Nokia Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| The Garnet VM Beta for Nokia Nseries was created by ACCESS, who is the
| company that bought PalmSource. You can now run virtually all your favorite
| Palm OS applications on the Nokia Internet Tablets and I can’t wait to try
| out a few of my favorite apps.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=683

30,000 Palm apps coming to Nokia webpads

Red Hat growth: A tale of 2,000 applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat's Linux business continues to boom, even when we don't give it the
| credit that it deserves. What is the underlying reason for that growth?
|
| Applications.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9791171-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Study: Developers Favor Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| "Regardless of what kind of developer you are, you're still trying to
| make a living, and target the operating system that?s controlling the
| market."
|
| However, in the most recent survey, the developers' forecast of their
| target platform has changed. For the first time, these developers said
| that in the next 12 to 18 months they expect to be developing more Linux
| apps than Windows apps.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3645766

Top 100 of the Best (Useful) OpenSource Applications

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ubuntulinuxhelp.com/top-100-of-the-best-useful-opensource-applications/