[News] GNU/Linux Does Well, So Microsoft Ups the Slog

Don't Get Me Wrong, Linux Sucks as Much as Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| I may be more aware of current FUD, disinformation, and anti-Linux propaganda
| trends because of my job. I visit dozens of Web sites every day and read all
| kinds of blogs, news, articles, and reader comments.
|
| [...]
|
| The one big thing I don't get is why anyone would be a fan of Microsoft? Is
| it billionaire worship, the idea that any random robber baron is worth
| worshiping? Microsoft hurts everyone. DRM, stifled innovation, collusion with
| hardware vendors, worldwide malware damage in the tens of billions of dollars
| every year, price fixing, hardware fixing, corrupting legislative and
| standards bodies, no real competition except Linux-- why on earth would any
| rational person find that admirable?
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2009/06/linux-sucks-as.html

Recent:

BSA's Canadian Piracy Numbers Based On Hunches, Not Actual Surveys

,----[ Quote ]
| The Conference Board of Canada that was basically a cut and paste from
| various industry groups, Geist noticed that the report relied on some BSA
| data. So he asked for more info on how the BSA determined the "piracy" rate
| of software in Canada. How many people were surveyed? What was the
| methodology?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090527/1125035034.shtml

BSA Releases BS Numbers Yet Again, Then Says Don't Pay Attention To The
Numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, it's the middle of May, and that means (like clockwork) the Business
| Software Alliance (BSA) and IDC have come out with their annual bogus numbers
| about software "piracy." They do this every year, despite the fact that their
| numbers have been totally and completely debunked for years. Last year, they
| were kind enough to call to discuss my concerns, but stood by the idea that
| every unauthorized copy can be reasonably counted as a lost sale.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090512/1922584854.shtml

Aargh! Walk the plank ye scurvy dogs!

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Channel Insider the Business Software Alliance and IDC report
| that software piracy in 2008 cost over $50 billion in lost direct sales and
| $150 to $200 billion in lost service and support.
|
| No analysis is offered as to whether the alleged pirates could have paid for
| licensed copies of the software in question had they chosen to. Nor is it
| explained why users of properly licensed software would have required $150 to
| $200 billion in additional service and support while the pirates manage to do
| without. Rugged, self-sufficient folks those pirates, I suppose.
`----

http://bringcookies.wordpress.com/2009/05/13/aargh-walk-the-plank-ye-scurvy-dogs/

The true cost of software piracy revealed

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24982/1054/