[News] Blockade in Patent Systems Due to Trolls Epidemic

[News] Blockade in Patent System Due to Trolls Epidemic

Patent trolls live under the bridge

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell, HP, Fujitsu and IBM have been hit by a lawsuit in the Eastern District
| of Texas Marshall Division - famously known for its ability to expedite
| patent (chapter 830) disputes. The article linked to points out that it is
| unfair to describe anyone bringing patent suits to court as "patent trolls" -
| they have to have a sound case and deserve their time in court. So who
| exactly are the trolls?
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/42715/118/

Actus goes patent lawsuit crazy

,----[ Quote ]
| The outfit clams that more than 15 companies, including Apple, Amazonmdocs,
| American Express, Apple, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, Cabela's, Citigroup, Ebay,
| Firstview, Marketing Technology Concepts, Netspend, Officemax, US Bancorp,
| and Vivotech have nicked its technology.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1184517/actus-goes-patent-lawsuit-crazy

Recent:

Of Trolls, Davids, Goliaths, and Kings: Narratives and Evidence in the
Litigation of High-Tech Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| While each patent dispute is unique, most fit the profile of one of a limited
| number of patent litigation stories. A dispute between an independent
| inventor and a large company, for instance, is often cast in “David v.
| Goliath” terms. When two large companies fight over patents, in contrast,
| they are said to be playing the “sport of kings.” Some corporations engage
| in “defensive patenting” in order to deter others from suing them. Patent
| licensing and enforcement entities who sue have been labeled “trolls.”
| Finally, observers of the patent system call the use of patent litigation to
| impose or exploit financial distress “patent predation.”

Golan Case May Put US In Violation Of International Copyright Treaties

,----[ Quote ]
| By limiting copyright restoration, the ruling might prevent the US from
| fulfilling its obligations under the Berne Convention and the World Trade
| Organization Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property
| Rights (TRIPS).
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2009/05/08/golan-case-may-put-us-in-violation-of-international-copyright-treaties/

EFF sues Obama administration for promised access to secret copyright treaty
documents

,----[ Quote ]
| Rebecca from the Electronic Frontier Foundation sez, "The U.S. government is
| still blocking the release of information about a secret intellectual
| property trade agreement with broad implications for privacy and innovation
| around the world, despite the Obama administration's promises to run a more
| open government. The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) could
| establish far-reaching customs regulations over Internet traffic in the guise
| of anti-counterfeiting measures, but no one knows for sure the state of this
| pact, as the government is hiding the details. EFF is calling on the feds to
| change their minds, and will keep fighting this in court."
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/05/06/eff-sues-obama-admin.html

European Commission On ACTA: TRIPS Is Floor Not Ceiling

,----[ Quote ]
| The EU Commission is “committed to improve the international legal framework
| for IP protection” and sees “ACTA as one way to reach that goal,” Devigne
| said. There was no intention to duplicate TRIPS. Rather, “we want to go
| beyond it,” he said, adding, “TRIPS is the floor, not the ceiling.”
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2009/04/22/european-commission-on-acta-trips-is-floor-not-ceiling/

The ACTA draft treaty is covering patent infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikileaks has published some drafts of the secret ACTA treaty, which aims to
| give better guns to Patent Trolls. The draft mentions that it covers all the
| rights covered by TRIPS, so it will cover also patents.
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-147082/the-acta-draft-treaty-is-covering-patent-infringement

Goodbye WIPO, Hello ACTA?

,----[ Quote ]
| What is really remarkable about this is that Greve can even be asking WIPO to
| consider free software and open standards: a few years ago, such a thing
| would have amounted to blasphemy.
|  Sadly, there is another sign that WIPO is becoming more accommodating to the
|  ideas behind free software: the fact that there seems to be a move to come
|  up with an alternative forum for promoting intellectual monopolies where it
|  will not be so easy to participate.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2101&blogid=14

New ACTA copyright treaty dodges the UN, poor countries and activists

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/14/new-acta-copyright-t.html