[News] UNIX is 40 and Bright Future Lies Ahead, OpenSolaris Benchmarked

Survey: Unix has a long and healthy future, say users

,----[ Quote ]
| Computerworld's 2009 survey on Unix use shows that the OS will be alive and
| kicking for some time to come.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133777

Unix turns 40: The past, present and future of a revolutionary OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Forty years ago this summer, a programmer sat down and knocked out in one
| month what would become one of the most important pieces of software ever
| created.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/operating-systems/nix/in-depth/index.cfm?RSS&articleid=2281

The Unix family tree

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133696

Timeline: 40 years of Unix

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133628

On the shoulders of giants: Three Unix movers and shakers

,----[ Quote ]
| Programmers Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie are most often credited with the
| invention of Unix at Bell Labs in 1969 and the early 1970s. That's entirely
| fair, but as with most important technologies, it's the people who follow the
| pioneers who often make the difference between a fabulous lab prototype and a
| technology that really transforms the landscape.
|
| Here's a brief look at three people, among thousands, who have made a
| difference in the Unix world.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133574

OpenSolaris 2009.06 Performance

,----[ Quote ]
| For the most part there are not many performance changes to be spotted in the
| 26 tests we ran using the Phoronix Test Suite. In some tests like
| GraphicsMagick, the newer GCC 4.3.2 compiler that is available via the Image
| Packaging System was a big help, while in other tests the newer GCC 4.x
| compiler actually led to a performance regression. Besides that there is not
| too much to illustrate with today's tests. Shortly we will have a new round
| of Ubuntu Linux vs. OpenSolaris testing.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=opensolaris_200906_benchmarks&num=1

Recent:

Who wants a giant poster of the history of Unix?

,----[ Quote ]
| Debian, OpenServer, OpenBSD and Mac OSX all have their place in history
| shown.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/25/unix_poster/

A question about Linux