[News] GNU Sub-notebook Runs on MIPS

GNUstep to go... on MIPS

,----[ Quote ]
| GNUstep is addictive, so one has to have it always handy... laptops, virtual
| machines, Windows port are means, but netbooks? The current trend?
`----

http://multixden.blogspot.com/2009/06/gnustep-to-go-on-mips.html

Recent:

The MIPS Processor and the $150 Linux Netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Back at the start of the millennium I was working for a large government
| contractor supporting an agency of the U.S. federal government. This agency
| was a major customer of SGI. Many of the scientists who worked there had very
| nice SGI workstations and some of the SGI servers I supported were, to say
| the least, impressive technology at the time. At the time SGI systems, one
| and all, had 64-bit MIPS processors under the hood. SGI spun off MIPS
| Technologies in 1998 and stopped selling new MIPS based systems in 2005.
|
| [...]
|
| Although it takes considerable work it is also possible to run Debian Etch on
| the Alpha 400. The screenshot below, originally posted on the linked page,
| shows a Debian desktop using the IceWM window manager with windows open for
| Mozilla Firefox and mrxvt.
`----

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/05/the-mips-processor-and-the-150-1.html

Linux To Regain 50% Netbook Market Share

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm sure some will dismiss Mr. Lim's projections as self-serving since Linpus
| is a Linux distributor heavily invested in the netbook market. It turns out
| Mr. Lim isn't alone in seeing Linux equal or even overtake Windows on
| netbooks. ABI Research sees it happening but they see it taking a bit longer
| than a year. They see Linux regaining dominance on netbooks by 2012. ABI
| cites the arrival of low-end ARM-based netbooks as part of the reason for a
| Linux resurgence. They also cite the arrival of Linux distributions designed
| for mobile devices, particularly Android and Moblin. Windows doesn't run on
| ARM processor based systems.
|
| While ARM has been getting lots of notice in the tech press a Spanish company
| called iUnika announced the first netbook with a MIPS processor (pictured).
| Linux already runs on MIPS processors. The support dates back to MIPS-powered
| SGI workstations running Linux back in the '90s. Windows, on the other hand,
| doesn't run on MIPS powered systems.
`----

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/05/linux-to-regain-50-netbook-mar.html

Linpus gears up Moblin v2 for Linux netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| When netbooks first came out from Acer and Asus, they came with a Linux
| operating system from a (then unknown) small Linux vendor called Linpus.
| Linux on netbooks is now more common and there are other Linux distribution
| choices (and Windows too), but Linpus remains and is now gearing up for a new
| release based on the Moblin v2 standard for Intel Atom processors.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/05/linpus-gears-up-moblin-v2-for.html

Linpus Sets Date With Moblin 2.0 for Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Taiwanese Linux distributor Linpus Technologies plans to make a version of
| Moblin 2.0 available for download next week, a move timed to coincide with
| the annual Computex hardware exhibition in Taipei.
|
| Linpus will show off a new version of its Linpus Linux Lite distribution
| based on Moblin 2.0 for the first time, including versions based on user
| interfaces designed by Linpus and Intel, the company said in a notice posted
| on its Web site.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/165632/linpus_sets_date_with_moblin_20_for_netbooks.html

Linpus To Launch Moblin V2 OS Next Week