[News] More Web Censorship in India, Australia, BT Attacks Net Neutrality

India learns from China and starts censoring news sites: Govt gearing up to gag
news websites

,----[ Quote ]
| Barely four months after dropping its proposal of forcing TV channels to show
| only an "authorized" feed during security emergencies, the government is now
| seeking to censor news portals and other websites, that too even at normal
| times.

The return of Stephen 'e-security' Conroy

,----[ Quote ]
| Conroy, for the uninitiated, is the man behind the great internet filtering
| idea , a trial for which is ongoing. A list of blacklisted websites, which
| would be blocked once the filtering took effect, was leaked and caused Conroy
| quite some embarrassment.
| The whole episode also exposed the minister as something of a neophyte when
| it comes to technology - what people on the net would call a n00b.

BT accused of download throttling

,----[ Quote ]
| Britain's biggest broadband supplier has been accused of limiting download
| speeds on its cheapest package without giving users a clear warning.

First Phorm and now this?

Meet Phorm's PR genius

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, Phorm's public image has had a bit of bother from the European
| Commission, so it would sort of make sense.
| And this couldn't be the same "PR guru" Patrick Robertson who orchestrated
| the £200,000 campaign by Tory grandees against the extradition of ex-Chilean
| dictator General Augusto Pinochet, could it?

Using the Internet To Subvert Democracy

,----[ Quote ]
| All the recent talk about various polls and elections being pranked or
| hijacked, serious and silly alike, prompted me to write an article about the
| technical realities behind online polling, and the political fallout of ever
| becoming subject to online voting for serious elections

Brits Back Away From 'Big Brother' Data Storage Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| The government said in October it was considering a central database of phone
| and Internet traffic as part of a high-tech strategy to fight terrorism and
| crime.
| However, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said Monday the plan had been dropped.

Foolish Phorm

,----[ Quote ]
| Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. “Smear campaign” - not much constructive
| engagement there with your critics there, is there? And what on earth
| are “privacy pirates”? People who steal privacy? Er, wouldn't that be Phorm?
| And if you have any doubt that Phorm is totally clueless about how to deal
| with the criticism it is receiving over its activities, you only have to
| notice the “Get the Facts” button attached to the alleged instances
| of “smears”: didn't they notice the blanket ridicule that was poured on
| Microsoft's similar attempt to spin?
| And what might those “smears” be?

Phorm and the Home Office: cold comfort to citizens

,----[ Quote ]
| You’ll probably have read today that leaked emails have shown that  the Home
| Office worked with Phorm to offer advice that would give “comfort” to their
| investors. We condemn this approach to law enforcement: the Home Office’s job
| is to uphold the law: not to reinterpret it for commercial interests.

Home Office 'colluded with Phorm'

,----[ Quote ]
| The Home Office has been accused of colluding with online ad firm Phorm
| on "informal guidance" to the public on whether the company's service is
| legal.
| E-mails between the ministry and Phorm show the department asking if the firm
| would be "comforted" by its position.
| The messages show Phorm making changes to the guidance sought by the
| ministry.

Plan to monitor all internet use

,----[ Quote ]
| Communications firms are being asked to record all internet contacts between
| people as part of a modernisation in UK police surveillance tactics.

Britain in the dock over secret tracking of internet accounts

,----[ Quote ]
| Fears that Britain is slipping into a surveillance society have been
| heightened by Brussels initiating legal action after declaring that UK laws
| guaranteeing data protection were “structurally flawed” and well below the
| European standard.

EC starts legal action over Phorm

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission has started legal action against Britain over the
| online advertising technology Phorm.
| It follows complaints to the EC over how the behavioural advertising service
| was tested on BT's broadband network without the consent of users.

EU slaps UK over Phorm fiasco

Brussels to sue UK over Phorm failures

EU Probes UK Over Internet Privacy

Wikimedia becomes latest to ban Phorm

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wikimedia Foundation has asked Phorm to exclude all its domains and
| websites - including Wikipedia - from Phorm's BT trials, because it considers
| such scanning to be an infringement of its users' privacy.

Wikimedia Foundation opting out of Phorm

Amazon blocks Phorm adverts scan

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazon has said it will not allow online advertising system Phorm to scan its
| web pages to produce targeted ads.

Phorm director advises UK.gov broadband minister

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission yesterday began infringement proceedings against the UK over
| the lack of a regulatory response to BT and Phorm's secret trials of internet
| interception and profiling technology in 2006 and 2007. The Department for
| Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (BERR) is coordinating the
| government's response, which if unsatisfactory could lead to heavy fines from
| the European Court of Justice.

Phorm eyes launch after hard year

,----[ Quote ]
| Online advertising firm Phorm is pressing ahead with plans to launch more
| than a year after it first drew criticism from some privacy advocates.

Big websites urged to avoid Phorm

,----[ Quote ]
| Seven of the UK's biggest web firms have been urged to opt out of a
| controversial ad-serving system.
| Phorm - aka Webwise - profiles users' browsing habits and serves up adverts
| based on which sites they visit.

Phorm CEO clashes with Berners-Lee at Parliament

,----[ Quote ]
| Berners-Lee gave a passionate explanation of why he does not believe ISPs
| should on principle be allowed to intercept and profile their customers'
| internet usage. "It is very important that when click we click without a
| thought that a third party knows what we're clicking on," he said. "I have
| come here to defend the internet as a medium."

Uh oh, Google goes all Phorm on your ass

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course Phorm is not alone in the behavioral advertising space, but it has
| pretty much dominated the media coverage of the market since it started. The
| British police even got involved after British Telecom conducted secret Phorm
| trials.
| Now Phorm can probably breathe a sigh of relief as someone more headline
| worthy enters the 'we will track your browsing patterns and throw adverts at
| you that are the best fit' market. That someone, unfortunately, being Google.
| Google has kind of quietly announced, via the official blog, that it will
| be 'making ads more interesting.' I can only assume that was a display of
| irony on the part of the writer at Google, one Susan Wojcicki, VP of Product
| Management.

Phorm Phorces Which? To Retract Critical Survey, Uses Defamation Threat

,----[ Quote ]
| The retraction came in so quick, we hadn’t even seen the original press
| release. Under legal pressure, consumer mag Which? on Wednesday hastily
| called back a survey it issued indicating public opposition to on-ISP
| behavioural ad targeter Phorm. Which? sent the following statement…
| “Urgent withdrawal of press release from Which? - Internet users say: don’t
| sell my surfing habits. Which? has received further information and
| representations from Phorm about the proposed Webwise service, and it has
| agreed to withdraw the above press release, issued under embargo on 24
| February 2008, while we consider them. Some of the information in the press
| release and related article is said to be inaccurate and as a consequence may
| be defamatory. You are strongly urged not to write an article based on the
| press release or the related article ‘Online privacy matters’ in Which?
| magazine.”

More execs quit Phorm

,----[ Quote ]
| When half of Phorm's board quit earlier this month, it was spun as a strategy
| disagreement between the US and UK operations. But now the firm's
| London-based UK chief executive has quit too, along with its chief
| beancounter.

Bad Phorm: UK Police give green light to Internet spying

,----[ Quote ]
| The email is quoted by El Reg and states that "it has been decided that no
| Criminal Offence has been committed" and there was a "lack of Criminal Intent
| on behalf of BT and Phorm Inc in relation to the tests."
| The best bit, though, is the revelation that BT customers would have given
| implied consent to being spied upon without their knowledge because the aim
| of the tests was to enhance product quality.

Police close file on BT's trials

,----[ Quote ]
| The City of London Police have said there will be no formal investigation of
| BT over its secret trials of an ad monitoring system.

Phorm secretly tracked Americans too

,----[ Quote ]
| of British Telecom customers as part of its grand scheme to target online ads
| from inside the world's ISPs, it was "operating a number of public commercial
| services" on various stateside networks.

Spy fear over e-mail check plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Plans to give local councils and other public bodies the power to monitor
| e-mail and internet traffic have been branded a "snoopers' charter".
| The government wants to make it mandatory for phone and internet companies to
| store all information on personal web use for 12 months.

Bad Phorm: EU demands UK Government response on intrusive web ad tracking

,----[ Quote ]
| Controversial behavioral advertising targeting outfit Phorm, whose Webwise ad
| technology monitors user browsing habits to serve appropriate advertising
| messages, might have dragged the UK Government into a slugfest with the
| European Union over a possible breach of strict Euro data laws...

Controversial Ad Network Caught Editing Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]