Re: [News] Alternative glibc Distribution is Released

After takin' a swig o' grog, Hadron belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

>> Debian changes from GLIBC to EGLIBC
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | With a short message on his blog, Debian developer and maintainer Auréllian
>> | Jarno has announced a fundamental change in future Debian releases. The
>> | EGLIBC (Embedded GNU C Library), originally developed for embedded systems,
>> | is to replace GLIBC (GNU C Library).
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.h-online.com/open/Debian-changes-from-GLIBC-to-EGLIBC--/news/113228
>
> FFS. What a disaster. Queue Debian/non specific bugs left right and
> centre.

We'll see.  But I tend to agree with Hadron on this one, it could prove
problematic.

However, take note:

   http://www.eglibc.org/faq

   Both uClibc and EGLIBC are free software, and both are licensed under the
   Lesser GNU Public License (LGPL). However, most code in EGLIBC is
   assigned to the Free Software Foundation,  ...

If Debian or the eglibc maintainers show that it passes glibc unit-test,
that, of course, would be great news.

Looks like good old Ulrich Drepper is a bit too acerbic (although I agree
with his sentiments about socket libraries -- including the implementation
in Common C++).

--
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living.  The world owes you
nothing.  It was here first.