[News] EFF Fights the MAFIAA's Indoctrination/Brainwash of Young Children

EFF gives copyright education a crack with new curriculum

,----[ Quote ]
| Not pleased with the copyright curricula generated by Big Content, the
| Electronic Frontier Foundation has produced classroom materials of its own.
| Not surprisingly, fair use, the public domain, and artists who love P2P
| file-sharing of their music all make appearances.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/05/eff-gives-copyright-education-a-crack-with-new-curriculum.ars
http://tinyurl.com/nan24m

EFF Launches Copyright Curriculum To Counter RIAA Propaganda Being Handed Out
To Schools

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been quite troubling that for years various schools have simply accepted
| propaganda and totally inaccurate "teaching materials" about copyright and
| used them to teach students. These programs have been created by both the
| RIAA and the MPAA, at times. More recently, a lobbying organization backed by
| both of those organizations, the Copyright Alliance (which has a long history
| of making up the most fantastic myths about copyright) has been pushing a
| copyright curriculum on schools.

Patent brainwashing in elementary schools (???)

,----[ Quote ]
| Alas! The terrible things they're teaching my children in schools these days,
| probably funded by Microsoft's OnMyWay program!
|
| I went to visit my son's class today, and discovered that they had been
| submitting proposals for patents, their teachers clearly no fans of
| innovation.... :-)
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9953254-16.html

Can Microsoft teach tots digital-age virtue?

,----[ Quote ]
| The basis of Redmond's pitch was a small survey they sponsored where nearly
| half of the kids polled said they were unfamiliar with the rules and
| guidelines of using copyrighted media. Microsoft figured tots would be less
| inclined to steal someone's IP if they knew about the alleged consequences.
|
| A lot of digital ink was used to slam Microsoft's scheme. People need Redmond
| telling them about IP rules like they need Pavorotti schooling them about a
| well-balanced diet.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/27/microsoft_ip_curriculum_look/

Threat Of Jail Time Increases Respect For Copyright, Microsoft Says

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not clear whether Microsoft's statement to teen respondents -- "When you
| do not follow these rules you are open to significant fines and possibly jail
| time" -- is entirely accurate, particularly when teens under the age of 18
| are involved. Emily Berger, an intellectual property fellow at the Electronic
| Frontier Foundation, is skeptical. "I think it's being used as a scare
| tactic," she said. "It's a real stretch of the law to say it's theoretically
| possible."
`----

http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206503467

Microsoft training youth to love intellectual property

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9871636-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad