[News] An Argument for Freeing Hardware Just Like Software

Open Source Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source hardware could well be India’s best bet to get started with a
| hardware industry, without spending years designing microchips from scratch,
| writes Varun Aggarwal
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20090601/market01.shtml

Recent:

Take that to the Open Source bank

,----[ Quote ]
| Think open source and you might think many things, but I doubt very much that
| banking will be towards the top of the list or even on the radar for that
| matter. Yet the concept of a hacker bank to fund open source projects is
| exactly what has come out of discussions between a couple of open source
| hardware nuts, Justin Huynh and Matt Stack, who have now started the Open
| Source Hardware Central Bank.
|
| [...]
|
| The Open Source Hardware Central Bank has come about due to the difficulties
| of getting traditional lenders, even those who ‘get’ the open source software
| movement to understand how open source can translate to hardware. Matt Stack
| explains it as open source software being made with time whereas hardware
| needs both time and money. According to Matt, while the principles of an open
| source software time economy translate easily to an open source hardware one,
| the same is not true of the OSHW money economy. “Just try to answer any of
| these questions” Matt suggests “who makes money from it, who funds it, why do
| they fund it, and who’s helping to make it sustainable for the community?”
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/blogs/daveyw/2009/03/23/take-that-to-the-open-source-bank/

Introducing the Open Source Hardware Central Bank

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://antipastohw.blogspot.com/2009/03/introducing-open-source-hardware.html