[News] New Success Stories for One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) with GNU/Linux

Rwanda: Country to Host OLPC Learning Centre for Africa

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the State Minister of Education Theoneste Mutsindashyaka,
| Government has already ordered 100,000 units to be delivered in phases, worth
| about US $18.1m and the first shipment of 5,000 computers is expected in the
| country at the end of June while more 15,000 pieces will be shipped in by
| August.
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200905280009.html

Kids in 26 schools get laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| The One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) program, envisioned by MIT (Massachusetts
| Institute of Technology) professor Nicholas Negroponte and introduced in
| Nepal in 2008, has already equipped children in 26 schools throughout Nepal´s
| six districts with a laptop each.
`----

http://www.myrepublica.com/portal/index.php?action=news_details&news_id=5686

Recent:

OLPC kickstarts notebook program for indigenous children

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/304864/olpc_kickstarts_notebook_program_indigenous_children

Rwanda: Country to Host OLPC Learning Centre for Africa

,----[ Quote ]
| Rwanda is set to become home to the pilot learning centre for the One Laptop
| Per Child (OLPC) project in Africa due to its outstanding progress in
| promoting the child user friendly computer on the continent.
|
| The centre to be located at the Kigali Institute of Science and Technology
| (KIST) to be known as the OLPC Learning Centre will be launched on June 9 and
| it is aimed at supporting Rwanda achieve its objectives of promoting ICT in
| Education but also act as a reach out centre for the whole of Africa.
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200905280009.html

Sugar Wins! Nobody Buying Windows XO Laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| It was almost exactly one year ago that Nicholas Negroponte announced an
| agreement between OLPC and Microsoft to bring Windows XP to the XO-1 to great
| turmoil. I vividly remember the late-night flood of e-mails and IRC chats
| where everyone was trying to figure out just what that announcement really
| meant.
|
| [...]
|
| I've been wondering about what ever happened to these Windows XP-based OLPC
| trials. I haven't really heard anything about them in quite some time. Now
| more recently I've asked around and found there is a good reason why I
| haven't seen anything: countries are choosing Sugar over Windows XP for their
| XO deployments.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/software/windows/nobody_buying_windows_xo_laptops.html

OLPC goes the full Fedora