[News] GNU/Linux a Winner Because of the Applications

Desktop Linux: I'm Here for the Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| The best and the worst attributes of Linux as a desktop operating system
| involve acquiring and maintaining software applications. For me, the
| positives outweigh the negatives, making Linux the best desktop operating
| system option I've encountered, and the one I choose at work and at home.
|
| If Linux is to pile up more desktop adherents, the vendors and communities
| that back the open-source platform need to work together to accentuate those
| positives and shrink down the negative aspects of getting and managing
| software on Linux.
`----

http://blogs.eweek.com/brooks/content/linux/desktop_linux_im_here_for_the_apps.html

10 Essential Applications Included in Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

,----[ Quote ]
| While I agree that there are applications for KDE 4.2 which still lack
| several important features (like for example the equalizer and ability to go
| to the previous/next song using the tag editor in Amarok), I must say that it
| also improved very much since the last time I had a look at it. It is
| definitely faster, the desktop looks nicer, it does not seem a beta
| environment any more.
`----

http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2009/03/10-essential-applications-included-in.html

"The government is not trying to destroy Microsoft, it’s simply seeking to
compel Microsoft to obey the law. It’s quite revealing that Mr. Gates equates
the two."

                                --Government official

Recent:

Hedging against recession with free and open source software

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.worldlabel.com/2009/hedging-against-recession-with-free-and-open-source-software.html