[News] Monsters vs. Aliens Powered by GNU/Linux

Monsters vs. Aliens: DreamWorks' Katzenberg shows DVICE 3D filmmaking has
arrived

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the DreamWorks Animation artists get their work done on a vast
| campus that we toured today, the data processing for the film was done in a
| 3,500-square-foot data center (which they wouldn't let us photograph), packed
| with hundreds of blade computers running the Unix-based Linux operating
| system. Keeping it all cool and running 24/7 is an achievement in itself, for
| which DreamWorks engineers say the U.S. Department of Energy commended them
| for their uncanny efficiency.
`----

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/03/dreamworks_show.php

Recent:

DreamWorks to bake 3D flicks on desert cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| In a sign of the economic times, DreamWorks Animation has inked a deal with
| the New Mexico Computing Applications Center to use spare capacity to help
| render its 3D films.
|
| [...]
|
| The whole shebang runs Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 and SGI's
| ProPack 5 extensions for HPC workloads. On the Linpack Fortran benchmark
| test, it has a sustained performance of 133.2 teraflops. According to
| Governor Bill Richardson's office - which made the announcement of the
| DreamWorks deal - this makes Encanto the largest non-federal supercomputer in
| the world.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/18/dreamworks_rents_cycles/

Microsoft's Allen sells DreamWorks Animation stake

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has sold all of his remaining shares in
| DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc.
`----

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hw59xPNTP2VTQKOa5E6SagslCtkQ

Microsoft's Allen sells DreamWorks Animation stake

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=AP&date=20090213&id=9610843

DreamWorks Animation's Kung Fu Panda created with Linux-based HP workstations

,----[ Quote ]
| DreamWorks Animation's Kung Fu Panda, which opened today, June 6, 2008, was
| created entirely on Linux-based Hewlett Packard workstations. The digital
| studio has been using HP workstations since 2001 successfully on its films.
| Ed Leonard, CTO at DreamWorks Animation discusses the company's digital
| workflow, history of the HP-DreamWorks alliance, and the benefit of
| multi-core processing systems.
`----

http://facilities.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=415193

Related:

DreamWorks wins an award for its innovative use of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Behind that effort sits Ed Leonard, chief technology officer at DreamWorks,
| who has been recognized for his work with an Annie Award for "promoting the
| Linux open system for animation in animation studios and gaming software
| development."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9865829-16.html

DreamWorks Animation "Shrek the Third": Linux Feeds an Ogre

,----[ Quote ]
| All the big film studios primarily use Linux for animation and
| visual effects. Perhaps no commercial Linux installation is larger
| than DreamWorks Animation, with more than 1,000 Linux desktops and
| more than 3,000 server CPUs.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9653

ed Hat Summit 2007, Day 2: Red Hat Exchange and interesting presentations

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/11/142259&from=rss