[News] OpenMoko and Other Free Software Phones Get Very Good

Openmoko to Present FreeRunner Embedded Mobile Platform at Special Session
During Embedded Systems Conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Sean Moss-Pultz, CEO of Openmoko, will talk about the FreeRunner in an
| interview with Bill Gatliff, Contributing Editor for Embedded Systems
| Programming Magazine, and a presenter and member of the Advisory Panel for
| the Embedded Systems. Following the interview, TechInsights, organizers of
| the Embedded Systems Conference, and Openmoko will give away an Openmoko
| FreeRunner to five audience members. Openmoko is also offering a show
| special, reducing the price of the FreeRunner from $399 to $299 for 30 days.
`----

http://in.sys-con.com/node/893596/print

Open source meets mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla is looking for feedback from developers and users, who increasingly
| expect their mobile browsers to deliver a near-desktop experience. For
| example, Fennec features add-on support, as well as the ability to edit
| bookmark folders. Fennec will be using the TraceMonkey JavaScript compiler to
| produce quicker startup times on applications as well as faster panning and
| zooming. Mozilla is apparently shooting for a release by the end of this
| year; we can't wait to see this fox in action.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/mobile_pulse/archives/2009/03/oranges_pears_b.html

It's an important piece for a Free software (not just Linux) phone.

Recent:

OpenMoko Smart Phone: Open Linux, Open Hardware, No Britney Spears

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine owning a smart phone that you can hack just as freely as a PC.
|
| OpenMoko is an embedded Linux-based mobile platform, and the Neo Freerunner
| is OpenMoko's slick little touch-screen smart phone that runs OpenMoko. It's
| not really intended for the mass-market "just make it work and don't bother
| me" demographic, but for power users and developers. Unlike other mobile
| platforms that are open in buzzword only, OpenMoko is a genuinely open
| hardware and software platform. I had a great conversation with Sean
| Moss-Pultz, the CEO of OpenMoko, who was kind enough to still be awake and
| coherent at 1am in his time zone.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6707/1/

Openmoko FreeRunner Android in Blurry Spy-Shot Shocker

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/12/openmoko-freeru.html