[News] Academia Sets Knowledge Free, En Masse

Introducing YouTube EDU!

,----[ Quote ]
| Here’s a little breaking news: Today, Google has launched YouTube EDU, which
| centralizes the content from over 100 universities and colleges (get list
| here).  This robust collection gives you access to lectures by professors and
| world-renowned thought leaders, new research and campus tours. At the moment,
| you can access over 200 full courses from leading universities, including
| MIT, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Yale and  IIT/IISc.  And it’s all
| searchable within YouTube EDU.
`----

http://www.oculture.com/2009/03/introducing_youtube_edu.html

THIS IS THE BIG ONE!!!! The “OER Bill”

,----[ Quote ]
| I never thought I would title a post in all caps, but I can’t believe I’m
| reading what I’m reading. H.R. 1464, introduced by Bill Foster of Illinois,
| is titled:
|
|     To require Federal agencies to collaborate in the development of
|     freely-available open source educational materials in college-level
|     physics, chemistry, and math, and for other purposes.
|
| After quoting a number of findings about how completely out of control the
| textbook market and textbook prices are, the bill goes on to say:
|
|     The head of each agency that expends more than $10,000,000 in a fiscal
|     year on scientific education and outreach shall use at least 2 percent of
|     such funds for the collaboration on the development and implementation of
|     open source materials as an educational outreach effort… There are
|     authorized to be appropriated $15,000,000 to carry out this section for
|     fiscal year 2010 and such sums as necessary for each succeeding fiscal
|     year.
`----

http://opencontent.org/blog/archives/807

MIT Backs Free Access to Scientific Papers

,----[ Quote ]
| Scientific publishing might have just reached a tipping point, thanks to a
| new open access policy at MIT.
|
| Following a more limited open-access mandate at Harvard, the legendary
| school's faculty voted last week to make all of their papers available for
| free on the web, the first university-wide policy of its sort.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/03/openmit.html

Recent:

Open Knowledge Conference (OKCon) 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Knowledge Conference (OKCon) is back for its fourth installment
| bringing together individuals and groups from across the open knowledge
| spectrum for a day of discussions workshops.
`----

http://www.okfn.org/okcon/

Patent system 'stifling science'

,----[ Quote ]
| The traditional view is that strong patent protection stimulates innovation,
| reassuring companies that it is safe to invest in research without fear of
| being stung by rivals.
|
| [...]
|
| The full benefits of synthetic biology and nanotechnology will not be
| realised without urgent reforms to encourage sharing of information, they
| say.

Patents Over Patients

,----[ Quote ]
`----