[News] True Hacker Gets Along in Scientific Environment

Studying in an institute

,----[ Quote ]
| It is very hard to study in such environment. Most works I can complete using
| free GNU Octave instead of MatLab, Maxima or SAGE instead of MathCad, Gnuplot
| for building graphs and QCad instead of AutoCAD and assure teachers that
| there is no need in proprietary, expensive, unreliable software and I can
| successfully use the free one instead. I can say that I have got no money to
| purchase most of this software. They can give it to me, but nearly all of it
| requires Microsoft Windows to work. Problems can appear even when teachers
| give task itself… again in closed proprietary Word or MathCad format. They
| can refuse to talk with me, because I deny using of proprietary software on
| my computers, I can not afford it, I do not trust it and in best case I
| forced to run it in virtual machine or separate computers, because I have got
| valuable documents and information on my PC. And currently I am not talking
| about the ethical and social aspect of such doings: only about price, safety
| of my information, compatibility with other software, legal use of it (I do
| not want to be offender).
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/stargrave/archives/20

We are all makers and hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| In the beginning, the word "hacker" had nothing to do with hi-tech crime.
|
| Rather than describe a criminal who uses technology to defraud people it was
| a badge of honour, a mark that someone had a deep understanding of a
| technical subject - such as computer code.
|
| Hackers were those that took things apart, saw how they worked and tried to
| make them better as they put them back together. Many hi-tech historians
| argue that without hackers there would be no internet.

And the next day the MSBBC calls crackers "hackers".

Recent:

42 of the Best Free Linux Scientific Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Science is the effort of trying to understand how the physical world works.
| From observation and experimentation, science uses physical evidence of
| natural phenomena to compile data and analyze the collated information.
| Science really prospers and advances when individuals share the results of
| their experiments with others in the scientific community. There is a certain
| logic that scientific software should therefore be released in a freely
| distributable environment.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20080803104017665/Scientific.html

Scientific Linux 5.2 Live CD Works in Persistent Mode

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Scientific-Linux-5-2-Live-CD-Works-in-Persisten-Mode-91982.shtml