[News] Free Software Better Than Proprietary Applications

Who really keeps open source out of business?

,----[ Quote ]
| I work for a fairly large company. More than 10,000 employees. And we use a
| lot of closed source software and I always ask them why don’t we use open
| source tools.
|
| [...]
|
| So yeah. We use crappy programs at work because money = good software. If
| your a “end user” and you’re reading this, I’m here to tell you, you are
| wrong. The closed source proprietary programs we use at work are some of the
| worst designed pieces of software I’ve ever seen.
|
| Enjoy the Penguins!
`----

http://steveno.wordpress.com/2009/03/26/who-really-keeps-open-source-out-of-business/

Apache, Linux and Firefox are good examples.

Related:

Why open source is ready for the enterprise: beyond free stuff

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source is certainly hot among the tech community, but if you
| mention the concept to IT leaders in the enterprise environment,
| they tend to immediately cringe. The inference being that "free
| stuff" can't possibly match the quality of products you pay for
| -- and the "DIY approach" is not manageable or secure enough for
| large enterprises. This kind of rash write-off plainly misses
| the mark!
`----

http://www.line56.com/articles/default.asp?ArticleID=8034

Is Open Source Superior?