[News] Linux Supports 512-Processor Machines

Why virtualisation is struggling to keep up

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Platform has a hard limit of 64 processors
| for x86 systems, up to 512 processors with the largesmp package installed.
| Novell's Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 has a hard limit of 64 processors
| for x86 systems generally, up to 128 with the bigsmp package installed, and
| up to 4,096 processors only on specific Silicon Graphics servers.
`----

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/articles/comment/0,1000002985,39631863,00.htm

Recent:

Sun's Niagara gets Linux (again)

,----[ Quote ]
| Server maker Sun Microsystems has a new Linux partner for its "Niagara"
| family of multicore processors and their related servers: Wind River Systems.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/19/sun_niagara_linux/

Nokia Multi-Core Linux MID

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia might be one company that comes out with pretty dizzy phones, but that
| doesn't mean they are willing to rest on their laurels. Nokia CEO Olli-Pekka
| Kallasvuo already plans to jump aboard the laptop bandwagon, and could be
| working on a multi-core Linux MID where we're looking at a 2011 release date.
`----

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/02/nokia_multicore_linux_mid.html

Related:

CG Linux supports multicore MIPS64

,----[ Quote ]
| Montavista says its Linux distribution for Carrier Grade infrastructure
| systems now supports five MIPS64-based multicore system-on-chip processors
| from Cavium. Specifically, MontaVista Linux Carrier Grade Edition 5.0 (CGE)
| now supports Cavium's CN5800, CN5600, CN5200, CN5000, and CN3800 processor
| families, the commercial Linux OS and tools provider said.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7996306210.html?kc=rss

Multi-core SBC boasts EPIC proportions

,----[ Quote ]
| Ampro Computers announced two EPIC-format single-board computers (SBC) that
| ship with the company's Ubuntu-flavored Linux distro. The Intel Core
| Duo-based ReadyBoard 830 will ship in August, while the ruggedized ReadyBoard
| 820 is shipping now, says Ampro.

Linux CGL distro ported to multicore MIPS64 chips

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River has ported its newest Carrier Grade Linux distribution to
| multicore MIPS64-based processors from Raza Microelectronics, Inc. (RMI).
| Platform for Network Equipment, Linux Edition (PNE-LE) 2.0 for RMI's XLR chip
| line brings features like dual IPv4/IPv6 support and modern crytography to
| enterprise and telecom customers alike, Wind River said.

Multi-core CPUs drive change

,----[ Quote ]
| "Parallelism and the ability to write threaded code is one of the most
| important areas in computer science today. The other key trend change is open
| source which has changed the way a developer views tools, community and open
| modules they use to create software. Open source unlocks creativity and
| allows for rapid development using simplified scripting languages and re-use
| of open source code. The trend is to rapidly develop, test your ideas with
| the community and move forward.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/hardware/0,39042972,62040825,00.htm

Multi-core PowerPC chips target telecom apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Freescale has announced a new family of multi-core,
| PowerPC-based communications processors built on 45nm
| process technology.

Multi-Core Processors Challenging Traditional Software Pricing Models

,----[ Quote ]
| However, Microsoft Corp. hasn't hopped on this train yet; it plans
| to continue to charge per processor for software
|
| [...]
|
| Another strategy for CIOs, suggested Giera, would be to consider
| using open-source software as an alternative to commercial software
| during the transition period.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061009/18110_id.html?.v=1n

Wind River Linux platform adds multicore support

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on Linux kernel 2.6.27 and GCC 4.3, Wind River Linux 3.0 comes with
| packages for multimedia, graphics and HMI (human-machine interface)
| technologies, such as X.org, GTK+, GNOME or GStreamer.
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2009/03/17/45684/wind-river-linux-platform-adds-multicore-support.htm

Linux-friendly hypervisor targets multicore ARM

,----[ Quote ]
| The diagram below illustrates a use case where Linux runs in SMP mode atop a
| virtualized multicore system on which unneeded cores can be powered down to
| conserve energy.

Intel open sources multicore development tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel on Tuesday is scheduled to release the source code to a development
| tool for writing applications to run on multicore chips.
|
| The company released Threading Building Blocks last August, a C++ template
| designed to simplify the job of writing applications that take advantage of
| processors with multiple cores, or processing units.
|
| [...]
|
| To address these concerns, Intel has decided to release the tool under the
| General Public License version 2 with runtime exception.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9748598-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Where's The Software To Catch Up To Multicore Computing?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197001130