[News] Copyright Cartel Fights Progress, Resistance Emerges

Why Is The AP Invoking The DMCA Over The Obama Poster?

,----[ Quote ]
| it's claiming that his post violates the DMCA. That should leave you
| scratching your head, considering that the DMCA seems almost entirely
| unrelated to Fairey making a poster. But the AP seems to be claiming that in
| removing the little copyright notice beneath its photo, Fairey violated
| section 1202.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090324/0105144226.shtml

Mark Cuban Declares War On Free TV Online... But Misses Out On The Economics

,----[ Quote ]
| Plenty of newspapers did try to charge and almost all of them failed. People
| were never that interested in paying for news online, and plenty of new
| sources of news were popping up for free online anyway. Charging was a
| dead-end model from the beginning -- and to understand why, all you need to
| do is understand a little basic economics concerning the difference between
| infinite and scarce goods.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090324/0004194221.shtml

Open Letter re. Proposed Copyright Term Extension for Sound Recordings

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite this well-nigh universal opposition from IP experts the Commission
| put forward a proposal last July to extend term from 50 to 95 years
| (retrospectively as well as prospectively). That proposal is now in the final
| stages of its consideration by the European Parliament and Council. We can
| only hope that they will understand the basic point that an extension of the
| form proposed must inevitably to more harm than good to the welfare of the EU
| and should therefore be opposed.
`----

http://www.rufuspollock.org/2009/03/24/open-letter-re-proposed-copyright-term-extension-for-sound-recordings/

Recent:

Kiwis reject wild west copyright cut-offs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/482/1051482/kiwis-reject-wild-west-copyright-cut-offs