[News] Red Hat Says That Microsoft's Business Model is teh Br0ken

Red Hat CEO: Proprietary Software Model Broken

,----[ Quote ]
| Jim Whitehurst, who has been CEO of Red Hat for five quarters, cited Delta
| Air Lines, his former company, in an example of why Linux is enjoying wider
| success these days.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/open_source/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=216300082

Red Hat aims open-source at IT discomfort zone

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat has told open-source vendors they shouldn't hesitate when selling
| against proprietary rivals during the current economic downturn.
|
| The company's chief executive, Jim Whitehurst, has said that open-source
| faces a limited window of opportunity, before IT budgets recover inline with
| a general economic improvement.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/24/whitehurst_opensource_recession/

Transparency - the first step towards open source participation for proprietary
vendors

,----[ Quote ]
| Turn Jim’s statement on its head and it also provides some good advice for
| those vendors:
|
|           Open source provides an answer
|           Participation solves problems
|           Transparency builds trust
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/03/24/transparency-the-first-step-towards-open-source-participation-for-proprietary-vendors/

Related:

Microsoft's new tack: Bribery as a business model

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-9949286-60.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20