[News] Why Software Patents Are Idiotic and Counter Productive (the WWW Case)

Standing on the shoulders of giants

,----[ Quote ]
| Berners-Lee himself was motivated by the desire to be able to share and
| collaborate on ideas with other scientists and researchers. He worked on the
| notion of combining the concept of hypertext with the Internet, and the rest,
| as they say, is history.
|

| The interesting thing about all of this in today's world of digital rights
| and software patents is Berners-Lee let his creation loose on the world, with
| no intention of claiming ownership, royalties or patents. Thanks to this,
| others were able to build on his ideas and give us the WWW we enjoy (and
| profit from) today.
|
| Had Vannevar Bush claimed “prior art” for his ideas or Berners-Lee felt a tad
| greedy, we might be looking at a very different technology landscape in 2009.
| Most technology, whether it's a hammer with a claw attached or a
| nail-file-clipper combo are converged versions of several ideas. With the
| ongoing debate about who's using whose code and whether or not they should be
| paying for it, maybe it's time to take a step back and look at the mentality
| of the guys who got us here today. Driven by a desire to share learning and
| collaborate with others, they saw a bigger picture. Maybe we should do the
| same.
`----

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/columnists/ithappens/weaver090318.asp?S=Internet&A=INT&O=google

The Death of Business-Method Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that all software ultimately reduces to mathematical
| operations, yet only some software controls actual stuff, like the baking of
| rubber. If the rest is merely math and therefore unpatentable, does that mean
| we must deny patents to all software that runs nothing but itself?
`----

http://spectrum.ieee.org/mar09/7909

Recent:

Software Patents and Open-Source