[News] Publishers (Middlemen) Become Redundant, DRM A;ready Pointless

Live Performance, Copyright, and the Future of the Music Business

,----[ Quote ]
| This article considers whether the emergence of business models based on free
| digital delivery of music and other content have rendered copyright
| protection less necessary or justifiable. Falling production and distribution
| costs have led many scholars and popular commentators to conclude that
| creators can and should embrace free distribution models for copyrighted
| works. In particular, many contend that the recording industry can survive
| and prosper by producing and freely distributing recordings as a form of
| advertising for the concert business. Some have further concluded that
| copyright law may need to change to reflect this new reality.
| Live Performance, Copyright, and the Future of the Music Business
|
| http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1337914
|
| Live Concerts Can't Support The Existing Recording Industry... But Did Anyone
| Ever Say They Would?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090315/1951474124.shtml

Cut the middlemen.

Security Researchers Shouldn't Face DMCA Liability While Protecting Users From
Faulty DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Longtime Techdirt readers may remember Alex Halderman, who conducted
| influential research into the problems created by CD-based DRM during his
| time as a grad student here at Princeton. He's now a professor at the
| University of Michigan, and he's working on a new project: seeking a DMCA
| exemption for security research related to defective DRM schemes that
| endanger computer security. We've seen in the past that DRM schemes can open
| up security vulnerabilities in users' computers, and Halderman argues that
| the public would benefit if security researchers could examine DRM schemes
| without being threatened with litigation under the DMCA for doing so.

MPAA Matches RIAA In Massive Layoffs

,----[ Quote ]
| I missed this one when it initially happened, but it looks like the MPAA is
| following in the footsteps of the RIAA -- who recently laid off a bunch of
| folks. Apparently the MPAA quickly followed suit and drastically scaled back
| after the studios cut the MPAA's funding by about 15 to 20%.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090312/0323464087.shtml

Why Obama Should Change US Trade Policy On Intellectual Property

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081212/0143153102.shtml