Re: Microsoft's CEO Admits GNU/Linux Won the Sub-notebooks Battle

On Mar 22, 4:23 pm, Ezekiel <z...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> And that quote is in direct reference to the price of Apple products.
>
> > Yep.

> Microsofts_Ballmer_Tide_has_turned...
>

> > This article just picks out some statements of Ballmer also.  The full
> > thing must be in Business Week somewhere.

> >> So exactly where in either of those articles does Ballmer (Microsoft's
> >> CEO) "admit" that Gnu/Linux won the sub-notebook battle?
>
> >> Currently 90% of netbooks are sold with Windows. So again - where is
> >> does he "admit" that Gnu/Linux has won?
>
> > He doesn't.
>
> Well the subject of the thread claims that he does "admit" thttp://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2060350http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2060350377
> 1233014134&bop=And&Order=PRICE377 1233014134&bop=And&Order=PRICEhis.
>
> > That 90%, is that another case of Cut Off the Air Supply?
> > Are stores dropping non-windows netbooks to avoid retaliation by
> > Microsoft?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?

> Submit=ENE&N=2060350377 1233014134&bop=And&Order=PRICE
>
> And what retaliation would this be? Do explain precisely how MS would
> retaliate against someone like WalMart?

WalMart is an odd choice.  WalMart does not rely on computers for any
significant part of their business.  Microsoft cannot do much for or
against them.  Best Buy, (the late) Circuit City, Office Mart are much
more exposed to Microsoft pressure.  There are reports that Microsoft
subsidises the advertising these places do.  That is a very nice
pressure point.  Its not like they have not done this before.  Byte
magazine quit the business when Microsoft withdrew all their
advertising in retaliation for defying some demand.

> How's this for a more plausible theory ... retailers sell the products
> that consumers are interested in buying.

Oh that is a very plausible theory, but it does not explain the report
of Best Buy refusing to carry products that directly compete with
Microsoft.

But let's do a quick sniff test on your theory.  Apple has shown that
there is a substantial market for the high end of (avoiding the word
"workalike") non-Microsoft consumer grade computers.  You and Amicus
would have us believe that there is no market for mid or low end non-
Microsoft computers.  Apple is getting good profits with a non-
Microsoft product, yet you say no big computer maker or retailer can
do the same.  My nose must be more sensitive than yours.

> >> Apple/OSX is *not* a Microsoft workalike.
>
> > OSX/Linux/Windows ... they all do pictures, all surf the WEB, all do
> > movies, word processing, printing, music, games.  Why are they not
> > workalikes?
>
> If you want to make generalizations like this then all computers are
> workalikes. Any computer than can "do pictures", print and play an MP3 is
> no different from any other computer.
>
> No... Linux is a Unix workalike. Neither Windows nor Linux is a OSX
> workalike.

Not workalikes for programmers.  They all are vying for segments of
the mass market.  Some things are expected of mass market computers,
and they all provide those things.