[News] Copyrights Cartel Misleads Diplomats to Fight Web

Lawmakers Clueless About BitTorrent and P2P

,----[ Quote ]
| The entertainment industry managed to convince the French government to draft
| a law that will make it possible to disconnect people from the Internet, if
| they receive more than two copyright infringement warnings. Sadly, most of
| the politicians who plan to sign the law into action have no clue what
| they’re dealing with.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/lawmakers-clueless-about-bittorrent-and-p2p-090321/

Recent:

Kiwi ISP Already Disconnecting Alleged Pirates

,----[ Quote ]
| Following a breakdown in talks it’s been revealed that one ISP has already
| implemented a version of it, and may have already threatened innocent
| customers after allegations from copyright holders.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/kiwi-isp-already-disconnecting-alleged-pirates-090318/

Court Asked To Declare Copyright Royalty Board Unconstitutional

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s not often that Metallica, Dr. Dre, and Peter, Paul & Mary are brought up
| during oral argument, but such was the case today when the U.S. Court of
| Appeals for the D.C. Circuit delved into Internet radio royalty fees.
`----

http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2009/03/court-asked-to-declare-copyright-royalty-board-unconstitutional.html

Extending Copyright Law Is Like Banning Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]
| Richard Smith has an interesting post discussing James Boyle's excellent
| book, The Public Domain, which we've been discussing as well. In his post,
| though, Smith makes a really good point, comparing the extension of copyright
| to the banning of Wikipedia.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090316/1137334133.shtml

ISOHunt search site lawsuit could make Google, Yahoo, others illegal

,----[ Quote ]
| The owner of the ISOHunt search engine website (used specifically to find
| Bittorents submitted by users) is fighting the Canadian Recording Industry
| Association (CRIA) in court against claims that his site pirates music. The
| company's president, Gary Fung, wants Canada's Supreme Court to rule on the
| legality of search engines being used to identify material which may
| ultimately be used illegally to determine if they, too, are culpable.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41765/122/

Scoop: NZ Linux Community reject copyright law

,----[ Quote ]
| New Zealand Linux Industry and Community reject guilt on accusation copyright
| laws Press release by LinuxChix NZ, Waikato Linux Users' Group and Wellington
| Linux Users' Group 11-March-2009
|
| A new threat has emerged against Linux and other Open Source Software: New
| Zealand's new, ill-conceived copyright laws that pave the way for users to be
| disconnected on accusation of copyright infringement.
`----

http://coffee.geek.nz/scoop-nz-linux-community-reject-copyright-law.html

New Zealand copyright protest blockades parliament

,----[ Quote ]
| The fight over the controversial amendments to New Zealand's copyright law is
| heating up.
|
| Thursday at noon, some 120 protesters descended upon the parliament in the
| capital, Wellington, and handed over an e-petition against the amendments
| with over 12,000 signatories, and a traditional one with 148 names, to the
| United Future party leader Peter Dunne.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-270800.html

New Zealand Goes Black