[News] Education in the US is Embracing Open/Free Access

MIT OpenCourseWare: Teaching the world for free

,----[ Quote ]
| By any measure, MIT's OpenCourseWare initiative, which seeks to "open source"
| education by making course ware from premier institutions available online to
| all for free, is a success.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10199836-16.html

U. of Manitoba Researchers Publish Open-Source Handbook on Educational
Technology

,----[ Quote ]
| Technology is changing the way students learn. Is it changing the way
| colleges teach?
|
| Not enough, says George Siemens, associate director of research and
| development at the University of Manitoba’s Learning Technologies Centre.
|
| While colleges and universities have been “fairly aggressive” in adapting
| their curricula to the changing world, Mr. Siemens told The Chronicle, “What
| we haven’t done very well in the last few decades is altering our pedagogy.”
`----

http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/article/3671/u-of-manitoba-researchers-publish-open-source-handbook-on-educational-technology

Foster plan for open source education

,----[ Quote ]
| The bill, H.R. 1164, is now before the House Education and Labor Committee,
| chaired by California Democrat George Miller. Its full name is The Learning
| Opportunities with Creation of Open Source Textbooks Act of 2009.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3741

Recent:

John Conyers and Open Access