[News] Lists of Good GNU/Linux and Free (Libre) Applications

7 Excellent Linux Apps You May Not Know About

,----[ Quote ]
| Everyone is writing "Foo Best" lists all full of good Linux apps, so here are
| my own 7 Best Excellent Linux Apps You May Not Have Been Introduced To Yet.
| They are presented in no particular order or categorization, they're just
| good applications I've been using and enjoying. They are all 100% genuine
| Free/Open Source software and not crusted with proprietary baggage, and
| available via the usual distribution package managers.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6703/1/

4 Quirky Open Source Efforts That You May Not Be Aware Of

,----[ Quote ]
| The world of open source includes many quirky and unusual applications, some
| of which can be quite useful. There are also many new efforts to apply open
| source principles to hardware designs. In this post rounding up four unusual
| open source implementations, you'll find an offbeat attempt to crowdsource
| hardware, two open source browsers that you may not use even though they
| offer uniquely good features, and an instant-on Linux desktop that you can
| only get for free for the next few weeks.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/4-quirky-open-source-efforts-that-you-may-not-be-aware-of

3 Free Open Source Tools for Sampling Music Online

,----[ Quote ]
| Do you ever get a song playing in your head that you just can't get rid of?
| Do you like to sample new music in search of tunes that you may like? There
| are several good open source tools for sampling and playing music when you're
| online, and you can get going with them almost instantly. Here are three top
| choices.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/3-free-open-source-tools-for-sampling-music-online

Recent:

Ten obscure Linux applications you need to try

,----[ Quote ]
| With thousands of Linux tools available, it is inevitable that some of the
| best ones get lost in the crowd. Jack Wallen introduces apps that more admins
| should know about.
|
| Search for Linux applications on Freshmeat and you'll get more than 11,000
| hits.
`----

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/articles/comment/0,1000002985,39617672,00.htm

10 Linux and open source developer tools you should not overlook

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is a great development environment. But without sound development
| tools, that environment won’t do you any good. Fortunately, plenty of Linux
| and/or open source development tools are available. If you’re a new user you
| might not know which tools are there, but worry not. Here are 10 outstanding
| tools that will help you take your development to another level.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=579

Readers’ Choice: Awesome Linux Apps that Need Our Attention

,----[ Quote ]
| I got some very interesting comments on my post about Linux projects that
| need more attention, so I decided to feature a few of the readers’
| recommendations. They have mentioned very interesting and useful
| applications, some of which I have never heard of. A warning though: this is
| a very mixed bunch, some of the apps are just little tools while others are
| heavy-duty software projects.
`----

http://www.internetling.com/2009/03/17/readers-choice-awesome-linux-apps-that-need-our-attention/

10 free photo/image tools for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Okay, you’re probably wondering why would anyone want an alternative image
| editor to GIMP - the GNU Image Manipulation Program. After all, it appears in
| all the major distros already and is easily the most popular image/photo tool
| for Linux OSs.
`----

http://darrenyates.com.au/?p=647

Top 5 Linux Games for 2009