[News] Privacy Invasion in the UK, Germany Saus No

Coming to an ID Card Near You: Your DNA

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the many disgraceful aspects about the disgraceful ID card programme
| is the reluctance of the UK government to make key documents available.
|
| For such a momentous change in the relationship of government to governed, it
| is critically important that a full debate about all the issues be conducted;
| but without key details of the scheme, that is made more difficult – which is
| presumably why the UK government has resisted the publication of the
| so-called “Gateway reviews” so long.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2013&blogid=14

German Court Says Data Retention is "Invalid"

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/03/german-court-says-data-retention-is_19.html

Recent:

7 Ways to Stop Uncle Sam from Spying On You

,----[ Quote ]
| You say you have no secrets. Your life's an open book. You have nothing to
| hide. But still, do you really want to make it easy for Uncle Sam -- or
| anyone else for that matter -- to rifle through your contact lists, read your
| e-mails or monitor your cash flow?
|
| Probably not.
|
| But privacy advocates say it's never been easier for the government to
| collect information about you.
`----

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=7009506

40 Open Source Tools for Protecting Your Privacy

,----[ Quote ]
| We've included projects aimed at all three groups in our list of 40 open
| source tools for protecting your privacy. So whether you're Joe Schmo or
| James Bond, a geek or just paranoid, you're sure to find at least a couple of
| apps on our list that can help you keep your personal data secret.
`----

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/features/article.php/3788181/40-Open-Source-Tools-for-Protecting-Your-Privacy.htm

GNU/Linux free software tools to preserve your online privacy, anonymity and
security

,----[ Quote ]
| The second piece of shocking information was a report in the New York Times
| of a leaked document that the USA and the the European Union were proposing
| to exchange information with each other on their citizens. Allowing this to
| happen would be like putting Count Dracula in charge of a blood bank. They
| will of course plead effusively (a) good intentions and (b) make extravagant
| claims for built-in safeguards. Well, the latter is about as useful as a
| chocolate teapot. Heard it all before—along with fairy tales from my mother
| and father about the tooth fairy and Santa. Inevitably, they also plead cruel
| necessity but those words have been on the lips of all tyrants since time
| immemorial. When they start forming on the lips of “democratic” governments
| and politicians then it really is time to consider what must be done.
|
| As the average politician’s knowledge of science and information technology
| is smaller than Planck’s Constant we should not be surprised at such poor
| understanding and lax control.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/gnu_linux_free_software_tools_preserve_your_online_privacy_anonymity_and_security
http://tinyurl.com/5ouz3z

E P I C   A l e r t

Table of Contents
[1] Facebook Reverses Terms of Service on Eve of EPIC Complaint
[2] Federal Court Upholds Opt-In Privacy Rule for Telephone Services
[3] Trade Commission Issues Guidelines for Behavioral Advertising
[4] Homeland Security Appoints New Chief Privacy Officer
[5] Final Medical Privacy Rules Adopted in Congress
[6] News in Brief
[7] EPIC Bookstore: "In Confidence"
[8] Upcoming Conferences and Events
        - Join EPIC on Facebook http://epic.org/facebook

http://epic.org/alert/EPIC_Alert_16.03.html

EU data protection authority confirms privacy threat in "Telecoms Package"

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) released his opinion on the
| current state of the Telecoms Package. His views on the ePrivacy directive
| confirms La Quadrature's analysis: If nothing is done, article 6.6(a) will
| allow any company to collect and process traffic data from any Internet user,
| for an undetermined period of time. This disposition is harmful and
| unacceptable. MEPs must react by strongly reaffirming citizens' right to
| privacy and the interests of society as a whole during the second reading of
| the package.
`----

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/eu-data-protection-authority-confirms-privacy-breach-telecoms-package

A CONCEALED ASSAULT ON PRIVACY