[News] IBM-Sun Relationship as a Good Thing, Sun Promotes FOSS

eWEEK Labs on IBM/Sun: Open-Source Community Would Win

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a lot of overlap for IBM and Sun in the areas of open source and
| operating systems, and in this case, that's a good thing. Solaris would give
| IBM a better Unix operating system than IBM's AIX, and the deal could enable
| IBM to take advantage of the significant open-source work that Sun has done.
| The combination of IBM and such open-source technologies as OpenSolaris,
| StarOffice and MySQL could mean a richer, happier open-source community.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/eWEEK-Labs-on-IBMSun-OpenSource-Community-Would-Win-453473/?kc=rss
http://tinyurl.com/dnfeh8

Sun Microsystems a longtime leader in innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| So as news swept Silicon Valley on Wednesday that Sun was in talks to be
| acquired by IBM, the reaction included a poignant, even bittersweet, sense of
| irony.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/topstories/ci_11945023

Sun: Open source frees CIOs (and others) from 'slavery'

,----[ Quote ]
| Vendors can build revenues from services and subscriptions, while CIOs, CEOs
| and the businesses they lead are freed from the "slavery" of traditional
| software procurement processes, said Sun's Simon Phipps, speaking at a Sun
| developers conference in New York City.
|
| In the midst of industry speculation that IBM might buy Sun for some $6.5
| billion, Sun also used the event this week to announce the Sun Open Cloud
| Platform, a.k.a., "Sun Cloud," along with the first two services from Sun to
| be based on the new private and public cloud environment.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Sun-Open-source-frees-CIOs-and-others-from-slavery/1237418723

Recent:

IBM Sun acquisition: Good for Unix and Linux. Bad for HP

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/03/ibm-sun-acquisition-good-for-u.html