[News] GNU/Linux Further Optimised for Sub-notebooks

Announcing ‘Anjal’- the new mail for netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Anjal is a new mail UI created on top of Evolution. It would have a very
| interesting UI & features, that would make it the very suitable for low
| memory/processor/resolution devices.  It is Evolution & EDS at the back of
| Anjal. We have broken down Evolution mail library to a smaller component and
| made a reusable shared library to be used by Evolution.
`----

http://blogs.gnome.org/sragavan/2009/03/18/announcing-anjal-the-new-mail-for-netbooks/

Realistic netbook expectations

,----[ Quote ]
| Regular readers will know that I’ve become quite a fan of netbooks. After
| all, why buy a full-blown notebook when a $300 netbook will meet your needs
| just as well? Even the bargain-basement laptops that are cropping up in the
| $500 range tend to be fairly heavy, so netbooks compete well here too (even
| for the nicer offerings that start pushing $500 themselves).
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=2268

Microsoft lackeys from NPD (details below) spread some false numbers around and
count _only US sales_ of sub-notebooks. That's where numbers are lowest.

Related:

Vista: better than expected

,----[ Quote ]
| But wait! The NPD Group? Isn't it that market research firm which
| spotted the opportunities offered by the corporate movie and music
| companies from afar and almost overnight became an expert on p2p
| file sharing with, "highly questionable statistics blatantly
| slanted towards the entertainment cartels?"
`----

http://p2pnet.net/story/10999

Early Vista Sales Don't Tell the Whole Story

,----[ Quote ]
| To be clear: The missing information is to be expected, and I don't
| mean to reflect poorly on Swenson or NPD. Research firms aren't in
| the business of giving away information to the news media, but
| selling it to clients. The information provided to the press
| should be incomplete.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/early_vista_sales_dont_tell_the_whole_story.html

Zune doesn't shake iPod's market lead
     ^^^^^^^

,----[ Quote ]
| 'All in all, that's a pretty good performance,'' said Stephen Baker,
| an analyst with Reston, Va.-based NPD.
|                                   ^^^
`----

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/technology/16263552.htm

Zune does a bit better than expected

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite getting a hammering in the tech press, Microsoft's Zune has
| had respectable sales last month according to data from market
| research firm NPD Group.
|               ^^^

Microsoft's Xbox 360 US sales-NPD story withdrawn
                              ^^^

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20061208:MTFH45656_2006-12-08_01-12-52_N07221320&type=comktNews&rpc=44