[News] GNU/Linux and ARM Break Price Barriers (Photos)

Cheap, Pocketable MID Runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| OK, SmartQ: how long have you been hiding this Mobile Internet Device from
| Engadget? The SmartQ 5 is all touch-screen with 4.3-inches of 800×480
| resolution to tap. Although I’m more enamored by higher resolutions than
| this, it’s not bad for a handheld device. It could be a chore for viewing web
| pages though, so I suspect ample usage of the zoom function would be used in
| the browser. Hey, at $132 for an ARM-based MID running Linux with a usable
| browser, I’d be willing to gamble if I could get one from China.
`----

http://jkontherun.com/2009/03/18/cheap-pocketable-mid-runs-linux/

SmartQ 5 Ubuntu MID arriving soon

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2009/03/19/smartq-5-ubuntu-mid-arriving-soon/

"The government is not trying to destroy Microsoft, it’s simply seeking to
compel Microsoft to obey the law. It’s quite revealing that Mr. Gates equates
the two."

                                --Government official

Recent:

Freescale Plans Reference Design for Linux ARM Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| When will power-saving and affordable ARM netbooks become available?
| Freescale Semiconductor has ventured into an advanced standard, albeit with
| their homegrown i.MX515 chip.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/freescale_plans_reference_design_for_linux_arm_netbooks

One Third of Dell Inspiron Mini 9s Sold Run Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell attributes part of the Linux growth to competitive pricing on the Ubuntu
| SKUs. “When you look at the sweet spot for this category it is price
| sensitivity, and Linux enabled us to offer a lower price entry point,” added
| Dell senior product manager John New.
`----

http://blog.laptopmag.com/one-third-of-dell-inspiron-mini-9s-sold-run-linux

Netbooks Open Linux Window at BETT

,----[ Quote ]
| On the same stand a large screen showed off the design appeal of the latest
| Ubuntu. This includes multiple windows rotating or rescaling. As this is
| better understood some Netbook users may returnt to Linux. Asustek Chairman
| Jonney Shih has predicted that about 60 percent of Eee PCs to be shipped in
| 2009 will have Windows XP.
`----

http://english.ohmynews.com/ArticleView/article_view.asp?menu=A11100&no=384681&rel_no=1&back_url=

Netbook Sales Soar in Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Adoption of non-Windows operating systems, Linux mainly, is stronger there
| than the United States.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/netbook_sales_soar_in_europe.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Future of Linux desktop: co-Linux on Android

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.trendcaller.com/2009/02/future-of-linux-desktop-co-linux-on.html