[News] Killer KDE Application Gets Plasmafied

KDE4 Version of Digikam Photo Management Available

,----[ Quote ]
| Photographers in the Free world rejoice! On behalf of the Digikam developer
| team, Gilles Caullier has announced the first KDE 4 release of Digikam, the
| photo management application.
|
| Digikam is a full-fledged tool that covers the whole digital photography
| workflow, from downloading the pictures off of your camera (and in the new
| version even capturing photos from inside digikam) to sorting, editing,
| rating and tagging (including geolocation and editing of raw photos in the
| new version) and of course also publishing your photos.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/2009/03/18/kde4-version-digikam-photo-management-available

DKE Commit Digest: Issue 151 - 22nd February 2009 - by Danny Allen

,----[ Quote ]
| Experimentation with recording presentations in Okular. Mobipocket format
| support added to Okular, Strigi, and the thumbnailer. Ability to configure
| gestures in the "Hotkeys" KControl module.
`----

http://commit-digest.org/issues/2009-02-22/

Why I prefer KDE over GNOME

,----[ Quote ]
| Some will say, “Well, KDE also forced a dumbed down KDE 4.0 onto the masses”.
| But, that is not really the case.  The KDE developers were very clear in
| saying that KDE 4.0 was not intended for the public at large.  It was meant
| for *developers*.  If there are any options still missing in KDE 4.2 it is
| not due to a desire to artificially limit the number of options.  It is
| simply a matter of not being able to incorporate them yet.  The KDE
| developers attitude is clearly very different from the one I have experienced
| in the GNOME world.  I feel like the KDE developers want to empower me while
| the GNOME developers want to restrict me.
`----

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2009/03/18/why-i-prefer-kde-over-gnome/

"Mr. Emerson and I discussed a variety of investment structures wherein
Microsoft would 'backstop,' or guarantee in some way, BayStar's investment....
Microsoft assured me that it would in some way guarantee BayStar's investment
in SCO."

                        --Larry Goldfarb, BayStar

Recent:

KDE 4.2 brings the MySQL server to the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| If you’re using Fedora 10, and are a KDE desktop user, you’ll notice that
| your latest KDE 4.2 update, requires having a local MySQL server installed.
| This is due to Akonadi, part of the KDE PIM packages, that now rely on MySQL
| as a default server, for storing PIM data. Just a few months ago, I mentioned
| the news that Amarok 2 will also use MySQL as a default database.
`----

http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2009/02/19/kde-42-brings-the-mysql-server-to-the-desktop

KDE 4.1 delivers a next-gen desktop Linux experience

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the weaknesses of the flawed 4.0 release provoked widespread
| criticism from users, version 4.1 is so polished that it feels like a
| completely different piece of software. This version truly delivers on KDE's
| promise of a next-generation Linux desktop environment, and it completes the
| foundation for a strong 4.x series.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080729-kde-4-1-delivers-a-next-gen-desktop-linux-experience.html
http://tinyurl.com/6dg7zu

My Perfect Desktop: Kubuntu KDE 4

,----[ Quote ]
| The Kubuntu KDE 4 desktop has become my perfect desktop. It has all the
| functionality I could ask for, and I have added applications to supplement
| that effect.
`----

http://jonreagan.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/my-perfect-desktop-kubuntu-kde-4/

Shuttleworth has some nice words for KDE

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19456/1148/