[News] Australian Authorities Quietly Shoots Wikileaks, Web Censorship Alive in the UK

  • Subject: [News] Australian Authorities Quietly Shoots Wikileaks, Web Censorship Alive in the UK
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:47:37 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Australia secretly censors Wikileaks press release and Danish Internet
censorship list, 16 Mar 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The first rule of censorship is that you cannot talk about censorship.
|
| In late 2008, Wikileaks released the secret Internet censorship list for
| Denmark, together with a press release condemning the practice for lack of
| public or judicial oversight. Here's an extract from the press release:
|
|     The list is generated without judicial or public oversight and is kept
|     secret by the ISPs using it. Unaccountability is intrinsic to such a
|     secret censorship system.
|
|     Most sites on the list are still censored (i.e must be on the current
|     list), even though many have clearly changed owners or were possibly even
|     wrongly placed on the list, for example the Dutch transport company
|     Vanbokhorst.
|
|     The list has been leaked because cases such as Thailand and Finland
|     demonstrate that once a secret censorship system is established for
|     pornographic content the same system can rapidly expand to cover other
|     material, including political material, at the worst possible moment --
|     when government needs reform.
|
|     Two days ago Wikileaks released the secret Internet censorship list for
|     Thailand. Of the 1,203 sites censored this year, all have the internally
|     noted reason of "lese majeste" -- criticizing the Royal family. Like
|     Denmark, the Thai censorship system was originally promoted as a
|     mechanism to prevent the flow of child pornography.
`----

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Australia_secretly_censors_Wikileaks_press_release_and_Danish_Internet_censorship_list%2C_16_Mar_2009

Home Office Utterly Clueless on Pornography

,----[ Quote ]
| Against the background of countries like Australia secretly blocking
| Wikileaks, this use of unappointed censors that are never questioned or even
| checked by any kind of review body is really getting dire. When will these
| politicians come to their senses?
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/03/home-office-utterly-clueless-on.html

Recent:

China Congratulates EU on AT&T's Amendments Being Accepted to the Telecoms
Package

,----[ Quote ]
| For example, Wikipedia has always been a source of headache for the Chinese
| government and the Copyright Enforcers alike. Entries such as Falun Gong, the
| IP filtering notes about AT&T, and AACS encryption key are very unfriendly to
| us, and therefore harm the society, since we represent the interest of the
| entire society. With these amendments, we can better prevent the spread of
| such harmful information to the society.
`----

http://blog.ofset.org/ckhung/index.php?post/093d

Aussie internet-net will be drawn wider

,----[ Quote ]