[News] New Initiative to Marginalise MAFIAA's Junk

eCommunications providers launch new initiative to promote legitimate online
content

,----[ Quote ]
| ETNO is launching a new online content web site today, to raise awareness of
| attractive online offers put on the market by its members throughout Europe
| to download music, films or watch TV. ETNO members believe that offering a
| wide choice of online services is the best way to promote a legitimate use of
| the Internet and fight against illicit file-sharing.
|
| "The rapidly growing choice of legitimate online content services illustrates
| the increasing cooperation between e-communications providers and content
| owners in order to respond to consumer demand for price-worthy, secure and
| user-friendly services”, says Michael Bartholomew, ETNO Director.
`----

http://www.etno.be/Default.aspx?tabid=2139

Digital Britain: Rights Agency Would Oversee P2P Warnings, Aid Court Actions

,----[ Quote ]
| The mysterious “Rights Agency” proposed in the interim Digital Britain report
| could provide a “gateway” for content owners to sue illegal downloaders.
|
| Lord Carter’s report last month offered few concrete ideas for tackling P2P
| file-sharing beyond legislating to formally institute the warning letter
| campaign ISPs trialled on behalf of the BPI last year. But it also proposed
| a “Rights Agency” to oversee that process, to develop DRM standards and to
| incentivise legal downloading. Today, in a follow-up paper, Carter fleshed
| out how this agency might work…
`----

http://www.paidcontent.co.uk/entry/419-digital-britain-rights-agency-would-oversee-p2p-warnings-aid-court-acti/

Recent:

SXSW 2009 on BitTorrent: 6 GB of Free Music

,----[ Quote ]
| The South by Southwest (SXSW) music festival is one of the largest and most
| popular in the United States. For the fifth year in a row, SXSW has released
| a DRM-free, RIAA-safe collection of songs totaling 6 GB, which can all be
| downloaded for free, thanks to BitTorrent.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/sxsw-2009-on-bittorrent-6-gb-of-free-music-090312/

EU Invests $22 Million in Next-Generation BitTorrent Client

,----[ Quote ]
| A few weeks ago we reported that the EU Greens launched a pro-filesharing
| campaign named “I Wouldn’t Steal”. In a continued effort to support the
| development of P2P technology, the European Union has now invested $22
| million in the development of an open-source BitTorrent client.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/eu-invests-22-million-in-next-generation-bittorrent-client/

Linux-driven BitTorrent appliance ships

,----[ Quote ]