[News] [Rival] Rumour: Microsoft -- Approaching Debt -- Will Drop Xbox 360 Elite

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Rumour: Microsoft -- Approaching Debt -- Will Drop Xbox 360 Elite
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:04:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Report: Microsoft To Take Its $400 Xbox 360 Elite Off The Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Another gaming rumor: Citing the usual unnamed sources, tech website Fudzilla
| is claiming Microsoft (MSFT) may soon stop offering its $400 Xbox 360 Elite,
| the super-premium version of its Xbox game console. Sales of the $300 Xbox
| 360 Pro and $200 no-online play Xbox 360 Arcade would continue.
`----

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-microsoft-to-take-its-400-xbox-360-elite-off-the-market-2009-3

Microsoft Refuses Comment on Rumors of Ceasing Production of Xbox 360 Elite

http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=15963

"Xbox 360 Elite" is an oxymoron.

Recent:

Sony's David Reeves

,----[ Quote ]
| Eurogamer: What's your reaction to the Q3 financial figures?
|
| David Reeves: On PS3, the target is still 10 million sell-in. PS3 was the
| number one priority, and the Corporation is going to meet that target. We're
| very happy about it overall.
|
| PSP was not hit so much by demand, but by economic factors. I can only talk
| specifically about Europe, but we've lost volume in Russia. A lot of
| retailers there have been sucked up by oligarchs, and they didn't have the
| financial support. They were not able to buy in the product, even though the
| demand was there.
`----

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/sonys-david-reeves-interview-january2009?page=1

Microsoft knew about Xbox 360 disc-scratch problem, employee claims

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft knew prior to the Xbox 360’s launch that the console can damage
| discs if gamers tilt the unit while a disc’s spinning inside, documents from
| a lawsuit focused on the problem reveal.
|
| The revelation was made by Hiroo Umeno, a Microsoft programmer, in an ongoing
| case that was filed with the Seattle District Court in July 2007. The
| plaintiffs are seeking class-action status on behalf of affected gamers, but
| the documents containing Umeno’s confession have only just been unsealed at
| the court, according to a report by website Seattle Tech.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/12/16/xbox_scratched_discs_updated/

Disgruntled Gamer Sues Microsoft For Scratched Game Discs

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft could find themselves in some hot water if a Madison County,
| Illinois resident has his way.  Jason Johnson is suing Microsoft for what he
| claims is defective hardware in relation to his Xbox 360.  Johnson claims
| that his console has ruined his favorite games and made them 'unplayable' due
| to optical disc scratching.  He claims that his copies of Rock Band, Grand
| Theft Auto IV, and Rock Band 2 all began displaying the "Disc Read Error"
| after extensive use.
`----

http://www.talkxbox.com/article2894.html

Related:

Microsoft sued again over Xbox 360 scratched discs

,----[ Quote ]
| Having your games destroyed by your console certainly isn't fun, but is it
| worth $50,000?
`----

http://www.techspot.com/news/32788-Microsoft-sued-again-over-Xbox-360-scratched-discs.html

Man claims Xbox 360 scratched games in suit against Microsoft

http://www.stclairrecord.com/news/216292-man-claims-xbox-360-scratched-games-in-suit-against-microsoft

Microsoft admits scratch problem with Xbox 360

,----[ Quote ]
| There hasn't been much discussion on the fact that the problem exists
| by consumers, but untill now Microsoft has always somewhat denied the
| problem and never proposed a solution.
|
| The Dutch television show Kassa, which deals with customer complaints,
| has been nagging Microsoft about this problem for several weeks, they
| did tests with Xbox360 setups and filmed (and proofed) that the Xbox360
| is indeed responsible for scratching game discs, when not moved, placed
| on a stable table and under the best possible conditions.
|
| [...]
|

| The television show also reported that while this issue is now an issue
| in the Netherlands (it is also widely covered in regular news), it
| could become a global problem for Microsoft in the future. Therefore
| I would recommend anyone who is facing the same problem to contact
| their local Microsoft office and point them to this article.
`----

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Microsoft-admits-scratch-problem-with-Xbox-360.html

Gears of War disc errors - why the hell is no one covering this?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, we're all just 'unlucky' Mark? Thanks for that. I'm happy for you
| and your console, but what about us? Where are we supposed to turn to
| for help and support? Microsoft wasn't very helpful (ref #102-379-2964)
| any of the times I've called them (I think it's up to three now for the
| same issue - perhaps I'll call again today and check on an update).
|
| All I know is that if I see that dreaded error message again on my new
| 360 I am going to go absolutely ballistic!!!
`----

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7626298&publicUserId=5551391

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against MS For Bricked 360s

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Gamespot, the suit seeks a minimum of $10 million in
| damages, depending on how MS decides to defend itself.
`----

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/law/class-action-lawsuit-filed-against-ms-for-bricked-360s-220250.php

Numerous Reports, November 30 Xbox 360 Update Is Bricking Consoles

,----[ Quote ]
| Some consoles are being bricked by Thursday's dashboard update.
| Issues range from freezing, red ring of death and VGA adapterm
| alfunction. Microsoft isn't acknowledging the issue and billing
| $140 for repairs.
`----

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Numerous_Reports_November_30_Xbox_360_Update_Is_Bricking_Consoles

Update brick your 360? Speak up

,----[ Quote ]
| Since yesterday's update, there are numerous reports about 360s
| being bricked. Some people suspect that this is being done by
| Microsoft intentionally to stop modders and hackers. Xbox Scene
| thinks it has more to do with certain combinations of hardware
| and firmware.
`----

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/11/01/update-brick-your-360-speak-up/

Autoupdate killed my 360!