[News] [Rival] Opera's CEO Unimpressed by Microsoft's Attempt to Escape EU Justice

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Opera's CEO Unimpressed by Microsoft's Attempt to Escape EU Justice
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:50:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Opera CEO von Tetzchner: Microsoft's IE8 'turn-off' is not enough

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the weekend, Microsoft revealed that in its latest private beta build of
| Windows 7, it will allow users to uninstall the Internet Explorer 8 Web
| browser front end -- a choice it has never offered to consumers since version
| 3.0. The fact that since 1996, the presence of IE in Windows was elevated to
| such an extent that users could not completely uninstall it, nor could they
| ever entirely avoid it, has been credited by many as the real reason for
| Microsoft being perceived as having won the browser war against Netscape.
|
| [...]
|
| Oslo, Norway-based Opera Software's stance against Microsoft on the topic of
| Web browser competition is very well known, especially after having filed an
| antitrust complaint against it in December 2007. Microsoft's latest move
| could give Opera a bit of a break. But as Opera CEO Jon S. von Tetzchner told
| Betanews this evening from overseas, he sees this move as a positive signal,
| but not anywhere close to a reparation for the years of damage he believes
| Internet Explorer has caused to the browser market, as well as to the Web as
| a whole.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Opera-CEO-von-Tetzchner-Microsofts-IE8-turnoff-is-not-enough/1236630337

Recent:

Opera 9.60 Review - Awesomeness, Great Features and a Few Annoying Crashes

,----[ Quote ]
| I must say that I think Opera is doing a great job supporting its browser on
| Linux. Even though it's closed-source, it's still one of the most powerful
| web browsers out there, and each release comes with packages for every major
| distribution out there.
`----

http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2008/10/opera-960-review-awesomeness-great.html

Opera 9.6 launches for Linux