[News] New Zealand Fights the MAFIAA; MAFIAA is Laying Off People

TelstraClear snubs internet law agreement

,----[ Quote ]
| Last month protests from bloggers and internet activists led Prime Minister
| John Key to delay new controversial new copyright rules till March 27 so that
| telcos and copyright owner groups could work out a code of practice.
|
| But yesterday TelstraClear - New Zealand's third biggest telco behind Telecom
| and Vodafone - said it was not prepared to take part in the code and bolster
| a poorly drafted law that was bad for its customers.
`----

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/connect/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501833&objectid=10561215

MPAA Matches RIAA In Massive Layoffs

,----[ Quote ]
| I missed this one when it initially happened, but it looks like the MPAA is
| following in the footsteps of the RIAA -- who recently laid off a bunch of
| folks. Apparently the MPAA quickly followed suit and drastically scaled back
| after the studios cut the MPAA's funding by about 15 to 20%.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090312/0323464087.shtml

Wait for the Munchkins to defend the MAFIAA.

Recent:

Obama names Doerr, Phillips to economic board

,----[ Quote ]
| Two Silicon Valley leaders have been appointed by President Obama to a
| 16-person committee that's charged with offering economic advice during what
| has become an unusually sharp and deep recession.
|
| John Doerr, the billionaire venture capitalist at Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield
| & Byers, is one. Doerr was involved in funding companies including Google,
| Amazon.com, Sun Microsystems, and Cypress Semiconductor; he currently serves
| on the board of companies including Amazon and Google and has recently turned
| his attention to green tech.
|
| Charles Phillips, the president of Oracle, is another. Phillips became
| president in May 2003 and previously was with Morgan Stanley's Institutional
| Securities Division. He's a Linux aficionado and said in 2005: "On demand is
| the future of software for many years to come and we are building it on
| Linux."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10158505-38.html

Why Obama Should Change US Trade Policy On Intellectual Property

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081212/0143153102.shtml