[News] Open Data/FOSS Principles Spread to Geography, Science, Genome

Geospatial: An Open Source Microcosm

,----[ Quote ]
| General purpose open source software (OSS) has been on the radar of decision
| makers for almost a decade. Big projects like Linux, Apache, Firefox and Open
| Office are supported by Fortune 500 companies like IBM and Sun. Everyone
| knows about open source, it is in their plans, books have been written. In
| general information technology (IT), there is little more to say about open
| source.
`----

http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=3065&trv=1

Why We Need Open Data

,----[ Quote ]
| The same post gives perhaps the best explanation of why open data is
| important; it's nominally about open data in science, but its points are
| valide elsewhere too:
|
|     * Science rests on data. Without complete data, science is flawed.
|
|     * Many of todays global challenges require scientific data. Climate,
|     Health, Agriculture…
|
|     * Scientists are funded to do research and to make the results available
|     to everyone. This includes the data. Funders expect this. So does the
|     world.
|
|     * The means of dissemination of data are cheap and universal. There is no
|     technical reason why all the data in all the chemistry research in the
|     world should not be published into the cloud. It’s small compared with
|     movies…
|
|     * Data needs cleaning, flitering, repurposing, re-using. The more people
|     who have access to this, the better the data and the better the science.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-we-need-open-data.html

Born a Creationist, Merck’s Schadt Leads Open Source Effort to Unravel Genome

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the world’s brightest minds at analyzing human DNA was born into a
| family of creationists. When he was 17 and graduating from high school in a
| rural area of southwestern Michigan, Eric Schadt couldn’t even imagine going
| to college.
|
| “My parents were very religious,” Schadt told me on a visit to his office
| last week. They didn’t emphasize education, and neither did the community, he
| says. “Higher education just wasn’t something that people looked forward to
| there. I didn’t really know what college was.”
`----

http://www.xconomy.com/seattle/2009/03/13/born-a-creationist-mercks-schadt-leads-open-source-effort-to-unravel-genome/

Recent:

Towards an Open Source Legal Operating System

,----[ Quote ]
| An informed democratic society needs open access to the law, but states'
| attempts to protect copyright interests in their laws are a major roadblock.
| This article urges broader access, analyzes the implications and legal
| arguments for and against copyright in the law, and considers strategies for
| access advocacy.

A new era dawns for open source

,----[ Quote ]
`----