[News] Venezuela Embraces OpenDocument Format and Other Real Standards

Insight into Venezuela’s Commitment to Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| We have reported extensively about the Venezuelan government’s support of
| open formats in the area of information technology. But it was only recently
| that the National Center of IT (CNTI) made it mandatory for the public sector
| to use open formats (ODT, ODS, ODP, ODG). This requirement was published in
| Venezuela’s Official Journal, giving it more formality since it was
| distributed to the public and made official.
`----

http://news.northxsouth.com/2009/03/09/venezuela-open-standards/

Recent:

Every child in Portugal and Venezuela will have open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Magelhaes (Magellan) initiative of the Portuguese government is giving
| every child in the country an Intel Classmate PC for 50 euros - and they are
| dual-boot machines running XP and a local Linux called Caixa Magica.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10011898o-2000469549b,00.htm

Venezuela adopts ODF for government

,----[ Quote ]
| Venezuela joins a growing list of countries which have adopted the open
| format as a method for exchanging documents within government and with
| citizens. These countries include fellow South Americans Uruguay and Brazil,
| as well as Malaysia, South Africa and Belgium.
|
| The ODF Alliance previously listed 14 national governments and eight
| provincial governments as having adopted the ODF standard, with Venezuela
| adding more South American weight to the list.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3334

Venezuela Gets It

,----[ Quote ]
| No matter what else you may think of Hugo Chávez (probably bad if you get
| your information from the U.S. mainstream media, probably good if you get it
| elsewhere), it appears that Chávez and Venezuela understand both education
| and Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/venezuela-gets-it

Classmate PC gets a boost with million-unit Venezuelan order

,----[ Quote ]
| The Classmate PC units that will be distributed to schools in Venezuela and
| Portugal will ship preinstalled with a custom flavor of the Linux operating
| system.

`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080929-classmate-pc-gets-a-boost-with-million-unit-venezuelan-order.html

Related:

Venezuela and the Hackers’ Revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| The Third International Forum on Free Knowledge was recently held in
| Maracaibo, Venezuela, bringing together many people interested in the
| development of free software worldwide. One reason Venezuela chose to host
| this event is that, in January 2006, their new free software law came into
| effect, which mandates that all government agencies migrate to free software
| over a two-year period.
|
| [...]
|
| The Venezuelan revolution is perhaps the first revolution in history saved by
| computer hackers and is one of the reasons the government is so very strong
| on promoting the use of free software, particularly in public administration.
| The Venezuelan government wishes never again to have vital infrastructure
| held hostage or sabotaged by agents of foreign nations.
`----

http://www.dailyradical.org/knowledge/Venezuela_and_the_Hackers_Revolution

Ecuador migrates to Free Software and Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| On April 10, 2008, Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa Delgado signed a decree
| ordering that the software used by public administrations in the country be
| free software (and implicitly based on open standards). Fuller story in
| Spanish...
`----

http://www.digistan.org/forum/t-52909/ecuador-migrates-to-free-software-and-open-standards

Venezuela Launches Sale of "Bolivarian" Computers

,----[ Quote ]
| The new computers will run the open-source Linux operating system
| and will first be used inside the government "missions" and state
| companies and institutions but eventually are expected to be sold
| across Venezuela and Latin America.
`----

http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/news.php?newsno=2326

Ubuntu takes advantage

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, I'm very proud to announce that another Venezuelan institution
| of the government, take our recommendation and then we deploy more of
| 700 HP PCs with Ubuntu and 150 IBM Laptops with Kubuntu.
`----

http://blog.blanco.net.ve/2007/03/ubuntu-takes-advantage.html

Venezuela - Stepping Forward With Debian

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the shining examples has been the Venezuelan Patent
| Office, or Servicio Autonomo de Propiedad Intelectual(SAPI).
| In a country that does not recognise software patents, nor
| biological patents, the Debian Linux distribution has been
| used as the foundation stone for the system that will store
| information about both Venezuelan and Cuban patents and can
| store up to 9.5TB of data.
`----

http://www.localfoss.org/Venezuelan_FOSS_1

No rush for open source technology

,----[ Quote ]
| Brazil, China, Norway and Venezuela have all recently changed to
| open source too, but mostly because of cost saving, not espionage.
|
| [...]
|
| The truth is you don't really own proprietary software, you just rent
| it. You can actually buy open source solutions, and they are yours to
| do with as you wish.
`----

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/birminghampost/business/tm_headline=no-rush-for-open-source-technology&method=full&objectid=18683873&siteid=50002-name_page.html
http://tinyurl.com/26o5t6

Venezuela and India appeal OOXML ratification

,----[ Quote ]
| Jesper Jerlang, the director of standardisation for Dansk Standard, the
| official Danish national standards body, told ZDNet.co.uk on Monday that
| Dansk Standard "did not agree" that processes had not been followed in the
| Danish OOXML voting process.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39427754,00.htm

Venezuela Joins Line Appealing OOXML Standard Approval

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146558/venezuela_joins_line_appealing_ooxml_standard_approval.html