Re: [News] OpenOffice.org Gets a Lot Faster in Next Version

After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:44:55 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Start up performance - something that always matters
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Today I want to show you what we have done so far for start up performance.
>>| We made a thoroughly analysis about the start up performance under Windows
>>| and Linux. Using powerful tools (e.g. Process Monitor from Sysinternals),
>>| which provide data from the system level, made it easy to collect data to
>>| quantify the different aspects during start up. Based on this data we want to
>>| see where we can influence the start up performance.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/start_up_performance_something_that
>
> Wait... wait.. wait..
>
> But I thought OpenOffice.org was already blazingly fast?
>
> According to Sun's own benchmarks, it takes 24.8 seconds to start up.
>
> almost half a minute.
>
> So Terry, what was that bout OOo being so fast again?

Just did this test (AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+).

The times are done by running this command:

   $ time oowriter

and then hitting Ctrl-Q as soon as possible.  At this point, I used
OpenOffice (yesterday), so it should be cached:

   real    0m2.296s
   user    0m0.060s
   sys     0m0.080s

   real    0m2.337s
   user    0m0.048s
   sys     0m0.092s

   real    0m2.360s
   user    0m0.024s
   sys     0m0.104s

These are fresh times, with the following commands being run to flush and
then load:

   # echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
   $ time oowriter

   real    0m9.361s
   user    0m0.060s
   sys     0m0.160s

   real    0m10.148s
   user    0m0.084s
   sys     0m0.144s

   real    0m10.090s
   user    0m0.072s
   sys     0m0.148s

And a quick follow-up without flushing the cache:

   real    0m2.571s
   user    0m0.036s
   sys     0m0.100s

Call it 10 seconds fresh, 2.5 seconds stale.

I can live with it, when I have to read Billy-Box-Dox.

--
To see you is to sympathize.