[News] Oracle Explains Move Against Red Hat, Company (Co)founder Returns to Raleigh

  • Subject: [News] Oracle Explains Move Against Red Hat, Company (Co)founder Returns to Raleigh
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:26:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Oracle: If RHEL were free, we wouldn't compete

,----[ Quote ]
| Now we find out that it's not a question of support at all, but rather that
| Oracle simply wants Linux to be free. Why? Because that makes its overpriced
| software seem cheaper.
|
| At least Oracle is being honest now. Coekaerts' argument is cheeky, but it
| makes strategic sense for Oracle. It just makes no financial sense for Red
| Hat.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10194650-16.html

Lulu.com moves into new headquarters in Raleigh

,----[ Quote ]
| Bob Young’s Lulu.com now calls a renovated building on Hillsborough Street in
| Raleigh as home.
|
| Lulu.com providers a variety of services and marketplaces for artists,
| musicians, authors and others who want to self-publish and sell digital
| content. The company will host a grand opening of sorts on Thursday with a
| luncheon.
`----

http://localtechwire.com/business/local_tech_wire/news/story/4714660/

Recent:

The Real Story on Oracle Unbreakable Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| · 79% of databases that run on Linux, run Oracle
| · Over 30% of Oracle Applications are deployed on the Linux platform
| · Over 50% of recent Oracle Fusion Middleware deployments are on the Linux
|   platform
`----

http://blogs.oracle.com/wim/2009/03/the_real_story_on_oracle_unbre.html

Oracle, Red Hat spar over Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat financial statements do not indicate that the company has suffered
| from Oracle's strategy. Net income for the fiscal year that ended February 29
| was $76.7 million, compared with $59.9 million in the previous year. Revenues
| were $523 million in the year that ended this February compared to $400.6
| million in the prior fiscal year.
`----

http://www.computerworld.co.ke/articles/2008/09/24/oracle-red-hat-spar-over-linux

Red Hat Q2 earnings beat Street