[News] Another School Deploys GNU/Linux

Students help expand MV school’s computing power

,----[ Quote ]
| Marshall, a senior, is one of several students who collaborate with IT
| Director Russ Bush in dealing with a variety of computer projects. Marshall’s
| work on cloud-based computing is built on top of the open-source Linux
| operating system and allows students to use older computers in a lab at Mount
| Vernon Middle School.
|
| [...]
|
| Marshall, a senior, is one of several students who collaborate with IT
| Director Russ Bush in dealing with a variety of computer projects. Marshall’s
| work on cloud-based computing is built on top of the open-source Linux
| operating system and allows students to use older computers in a lab at Mount
| Vernon Middle School.
|
| [...]
|
| Marshall has been working with Linux for six years, and has even done some
| computer consulting work on the side. Following high school, he plans to
| attend Kirkwood Community College while still doing some computer work for
| the Mount Vernon School District. He plans to transfer to a four-year college
| after completing Kirkwood.
`----

http://www.mtvernonlisbonsun.com/article.php?viewID=4312

"Bill Gates looks at everything as something that should be his. He acts in any
way he can to make it his. It can be an idea, market share, or a contract.
There is not an ounce of conscientiousness or compassion in him. The notion of
fairness means nothing to him. The only thing he understands is leverage."

                                --Philippe Kahn

Related:

Sharjah school dumps high-cost software for open-source applications

,----[ Quote ]
| John Nash, network manager and head of ICT for SIA, said: "This academic
| year, rather than using proprietary software, what we've done is be slightly
| different and use things like the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)
| instead of Photoshop, Scribus for desktop publishing and InkScape, which is a
| full, scalable vector graphics program."
|
| He has made very clear that going with open source software was not solely to
| cut costs for the school but an attempt to lower the barrier of entry to IT
| for the students.
`----

http://www.itp.net/news/520872-sharjah-school-dumps-high-cost-software-for-open-source-applications

Open source trumps Microsoft in UK schools

,----[ Quote ]
| MICROSOFT has suffered further set-backs in the UK education sector this week
| after Becta, the government procurement quango, reformed its purchasing
| regime to break the software giant's hold on education, and launched a
| programme to get schools to adopt open source software.
|
| At least three open source software suppliers submitted tenders to Becta
| yesterday for the £270,000 Schools Open Source Project. The winner will spend
| two years building a community of schools which uses and develops its own
| open source alternatives to Microsoft software.
|
| Becta has also specifically called on open source companies to join its £80
| million framework list of certified suppliers of software to schools,
| contracts for which will be awarded in June. The last framework list
| consisted entirely of Microsoft suppliers and drew Becta widespread criticism
| for favouring the convicted monopolist over cheaper, homegrown alternatives.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/21/open-source-trumps-microsoft-uk

School districts serve up lessons in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| School districts in the US and Canada find Linux and open source offers
| better support, cheaper setup costs, and improved educational value
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;821318543

Schools in Swiss Canton Switch

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this German article, the Swiss canton Geneva is switching to
| Linux and OpenOffice.org for 9,000 computers in education.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/schools_in_swiss_canton_switch

Ubuntu breathes new life into school's abandoned hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| But according to Stefyn, the "huge amount of flexibility" offered by the
| Linux operating system was the primary motive behind its adoption.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=609377314&rid=-219

9000 PCs in Swiss schools going Linux only

,----[ Quote ]
| Beginning this September, all 9000 computers will run only Ubuntu and free
| and open source software. While officials are happy to be saving money on
| licensing, the Department of Public instruction largely made the move out of
| what they considered best practices for student education (please note that
| the translation below is directly from Google Translation; non-French
| speakers should get the idea, though).
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1615

Red Hat taps Singapore schools for mindshare

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat said it expects to train some 1,000 students under this program by
| 2009.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62039950,00.htm?scid=rss_z_nw

CH: Geneva schools completely switch to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| About 70,000 students and their 7,000 teachers in the Geneva school district
| will gradually be moving to Open Source.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7576/6008

Canadian British Columbia's School District #73 opts for Debian GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Kamloops Thompson School District #73, British Columbia, Canada, with 55
| elementary and secondary schools, chose a majority of open source software on
| Debian GNU / Linux as it is easier to maintain and in their experience offers
| better support.
`----

http://www.techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/british_columbian_school_district_73_chose_debian

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html