[News] Gentoo GNU/Linux Alive and Well on Supercomputers

Supercomputer niche chucks rocks at Nehalem

,----[ Quote ]
| The SiCortex super runs a variant of Gentoo Linux and has a tweaked version
| of the Lustre open-source clustered file system controlled by Sun and used by
| many supercomputer centers. Sun bought the company behind the Lustre project
| in September 2007.
|
| SiCortex bought parallel-compiler maker PathScale in August 2007 and ported
| the compiler stack to its MIPS-based Gentoo rev. SiCortex also replaced the
| Linux boot sequence and added system-management tools, but Leonard says that
| the machine looks and feels like any normal Linux-based Beowulf cluster.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/12/sicortex_super_nehalem/

Related:

SiCortex cranks clocks on mega MIPS machines

,----[ Quote ]
| Supercomputer maker SiCortex launched its first MIPS-based Linux machines
| back in November 2006 and has been gradually ramping up sales. To help make
| its sales pitch easier, the company this week announced a kicker to its
| original boxes, which now support faster processors, a tweaked software
| stack, and manufacturing costs that SiCortex is passing on to its customers
| as lower prices.
|
| [...]
|
| In the wake of its acquisition of compiler expert PathScale, SiCortex has
| done a MIPS port of the compiler suite and has also done a lot of work on the
| libraries and systems software in the variant of Gentoo Linux (one of the
| many flavors of Debian Linux out there) and the Lustre clustered file system
| used SiCortex iron.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/19/sicortex_kicker/

Penguin Computing and Altair to Deliver Enhanced Utility to HPC Cluster Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Altair, the leader in grid-computing, workload management and CAE
| applications, and Penguin Computing, a leading provider of HPC clustering
| solutions, announced today their partnership to deliver Linux HPC clusters
| with unprecedented ease of use to the rapidly growing technical computing
| market.

Linux still super in Top500

,----[ Quote ]
`----