[News] Why GNU/Linux is a Better Gaming Platform Than Windows

5 Minutes of World of Goo

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux version
|
| Issues found in first five minutes
| None
|
| Five Minute Goodness
| Gooey goodness. Looks, plays, sounds just great. If I liked this kind of game
| I would be right into it.
|
| Score
| 7/10 I just think it deserves a seven.
|
| Windows Version
|
| Issues found in first five minutes
| Only runs as administrator.
|
| [...]
|
| 0/10 Sorry, but any game... Game, get it? This is a game and not a disk
| formatting tool. This is not a DBMS or a web server or a mail server or a
| registry editor or a tool to add users to the system... This is a GAME
| dammit.
`----

http://benhay.blogspot.com/2009/03/5-minutes-of-world-of-goo.html

Recent:

World of Goo

,----[ Quote ]
| They say the simplest ideas are the best. Strip most games down to their
| essence and you'll be left with either a dull husk of nothingness or a
| database. But not World of Goo: It's nigh impossible to pare down any
| further. Every extraneous idea has been lanced and excised.
|
| [...]
|
| Verdict: An absolutely intoxicating masterpiece of gaming ingenuity,
| beautifully constructed and universally enjoyable by all. You need to own
| this. 10/10
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/world-goo

Driver comparison Linux vs. Vista (Chrome 400/500 Series)

,----[ Quote ]
| After two released Linux drivers, I decided to compare those drivers to the
| current Windows Vista driver. Here are the first results, there are more to
| come!
|
| [...]
|
| Sometimes S3 Graphics really scares me and this is one of those situations:
| It's already rather unusual that the performance of a Linux driver is more or
| less equal to the Windows drivers, but that the Linux drivers offers a far
| better performance is really scaring. And keep in mind that S3 Graphics
| doesn't really care that much about Linux at all!.
`----

http://www.chrome-center.net/index.php/en/articles/211-driver-comparison-linux-vs-vista-chrome-400500-series

Related:

Windows vs Linux Benchmarks with Matlab

,----[ Quote ]
| Considering the hardware is identical, that difference is HUGE. And all
| because of all the screwups Microsoft have made, Vista might well be the
| biggest! (I should really test Windows XP. I would guess it's about 10-15%
| faster than Vista, but still 15% or more slower than Linux)
`----

http://www.antonywilliams.com/2007/12/windows-vs-linux-benchmarks-with-matlab.html

ATI: Linux vs. Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! We were completely blown away when our final results came in and the
| Linux 8.42.3 driver had outperformed Windows Vista with Catalyst 7.10 in
| Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It wasn't just a neck-and-neck race but Linux
| was about 10 frames per second faster when running at 1280 x 1024 and 1680 x
| 1050.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=897&num=3

SL Speed Showdown: Linux Tops Windoze

,----[ Quote ]
| This was not a scientific study - only a small test which confirmed what I
| thought I had "felt" already while using Second Life on my new PC.
`----

http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/2007/07/sl-speed-showdo.html

[Microsoft MVP] Foray into Feisty Fawn helped me take back my MIPS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://msmvps.com/blogs/plenderj/archive/2007/07/14/foray-into-feisty-fawn-helped-me-take-back-my-mips.aspx