[News] [Rival] Microsoft Stops Development, Plays with Lawyers and MBAs Instead

Editor's Note: Proprietary Ideology: Doing the Same Thing and Expecting
Different Results

,----[ Quote ]
| I don't know about American business as a whole, but it sure does describe
| some of the major players in tech, and the idea of Microsoft sending people
| to a conference to wring their hands and lament "Oh dear, the country is like
| all too greedy and shortsighted, and what ever shall we do?" is so ludicrous
| I laughed out loud. It's like alcoholics and gambling addicts ranting
| about "the trouble with people is they have no self-control." It's like
| serial killers complaining about how people are too violent and bloodthirsty.
| It's like cats criticizing dogs for eating poop. Ok, so maybe in cat culture
| there is a significant difference between licking one's own behind and eating
| poop, but to me it's a pretty meaningless distinction.
|
| In another sterling example of diversion and lack of self-awareness:
|
|     "Josephine Cheng, an IBM vice president and fellow at its Almaden
|     Research lab, suggested the problems in the U.S. were partly because we
|     have "too many MBAs and lawyers. We need to go back and focus on basic
|     science, technology and education and don't [encourage] so many people"
|     to become MBAs and lawyers.""
|
| While it's fun to pick on the MBA kids and lawyers, it's still missing the
| point by a few orders of magnitude. Who hires all those MBAs and lawyers? Why
| would any smart American kid want a tech career with a big company? The tech
| industry has destroyed many of the legal protections that US workers fought
| for decades to gain. The perma-temp, the H-1B worker, doing away with
| time-and-a-half for overtime, and outsourcing all proclaim "We don't value
| you at all, and since slavery was outlawed we have been forced to invest way
| too much time and energy into perverting labor laws, so you're a double
| nuisance."
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-03-07-003-35-OP-BZ

"Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products."

                        --Arno Edelmann, Microsoft manager
        http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39286351,00.htm

Related:

P. Graham: Microsoft is Dead