[News] Virginia Embraces Free Software Principles for Literature

Virginia Releases First Open-Source Textbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source software and hardware are common elements of the technological
| world.  And now the ancient counterparts to these modern products, written
| books, have finally jumped the gap into open waters as well.  Virginia's
| currently accepting public comments for its first-ever open-source school
| textbook, "21st Century Physics FlexBook: A Compilation of Contemporary and
| Emerging Technologies."
`----

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/virginia_releases_first_opensource_textbook_830

An open source textbook is more than a book

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of an “open source” physics textbook by the state of Virginia is
| a serious milestone.
|
| I put the words “open source” in quotes because, while the work has a
| Creative Commons attribution license and was built using open source tools,
| its chapters are all bylined and it was done with strict peer review.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3673

Related:

Thompson Targets Microsoft in Latest Crusade

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Gates, your company is potentially legally liable the harm done at
| Virginia Tech. Your game, a killing simulator, according to the news that
| used to be in the Post, trained him to enjoy killing and how to kill.
`----

http://www.gamealmighty.com/story-individual/story/Thompson_Targets_Microsoft_in_Latest_Crusade/

West Virginia Open for Business to VistA, RPMS and Other Open Source Healthcare
Solutions

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.hoise.com/vmw/07/articles/vmw/LV-VM-09-07-12.html