[News] Free Software Business Thrives

Firms to trim IT expenditure, take refuge in open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Anticipating a tough year ahead, major Indian companies are planning to trim
| their IT expenditure or stop additional investments. This is against the
| conventional wisdom of increasing IT budgets even at times of crisis (due to
| long-term benefits), with companies now increasing exposure to open source
| technologies and low-cost infrastructure.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/firms-to-trim-it-expenditure-take-refuge-in-open-source/351191/

Catching up with GroundWork's new CEO, Peter Jackson

,----[ Quote ]
| This economy is good for open source. I think we'll double our customers. At
| the same time, we'll be enhancing services to the community of contributors,
| and building out a large set of 2.0 community infrastructure to enhance
| education, communication, and partnerships.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10190714-16.html

Recent:

Linux keeps growing market share.

,----[ Quote ]
| Not only is TuxRadar reporting that Linux Format magazine sales are up 13.3%
| over the last year, but I also find that my local book stores shelves appear
| to have much more Linux reference books on the shelves as well.
`----

http://dthomasdigital.wordpress.com/2009/02/13/linux-keeps-growing-market-share/

Related:

The Total Growth of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The significance of open source has been continuously increasing over time.
| Our research validates this claim by looking at the total growth of open
| source. Our work shows that the additions to open source projects, the total
| project size (measured in source lines of code), the number of new open
| source projects, and the total number of open source projects are growing at
| an exponential rate.
|
| Our results open gates for further research around the growth of open source
| and the acceptance of open source in industry and government. Future research
| should explore questions like what factors are influencing this exponential
| growth, how source code growth relates to the number of engaged software
| developers, and whether or how long open source can sustain this exponential
| growth.
`----

http://www.riehle.org/publications/2008/the-total-growth-of-open-source/

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Open Source Projects double every 14 months!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.amit-deshpande.com/2008/04/open-source-projects-double-every-14.html