[News] State Funding Possible for Free Software Developers

NY Bill Proposes Tax Credit for Open Source Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Assemblymen Jonathan Bing and Micah Kellner, along with a number of
| co-sponsors, have introduced proposed legislation in New York State which
| would grant a tax credit to individuals acting as volunteers who develop open
| source programs. The idea of the credit is to ensure that volunteer
| developers, who could not otherwise deduct their expenses because they are
| not part of a 'business,' should nevertheless be able to receive a tax
| benefit for their contribution.
`----

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/05/1927226

New York Moves - Slowly - To Reward Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The move is certainly a step in the right direction — and one that no doubt
| will be eagerly supported by Open Source New Yorkers — and we applaud
| Assemblymen Bing & Kellner, and their "multi-sponsor" colleagues, for their
| efforts to support Open Source development — and Open Source developers.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/new-york-moves-slowly-reward-open-source

"Mr. Emerson and I discussed a variety of investment structures wherein
Microsoft would 'backstop,' or guarantee in some way, BayStar's investment....
Microsoft assured me that it would in some way guarantee BayStar's investment
in SCO."

                        --Larry Goldfarb, BayStar

"The government is not trying to destroy Microsoft, it’s simply seeking to
compel Microsoft to obey the law. It’s quite revealing that Mr. Gates equates
the two."
                --Government official

Recent:

FOSS advocacy in Africa receives a big boost from the Open Society Institute
for West Africa

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.opensource.org/node/387