[News] EDN Editor Sick of Windows, Wants Free Software and Standards

Freeing My Email: Open Source And Industry Standard As A Matter Of Course

,----[ Quote ]
| Part of my motivation to 'jump ship', I admit, is also a 'freedom of
| information' matter of principle. Microsoft made it hard enough to extract
| calendar and contacts data from Outlook, as my previous writeups have
| exemplified, but migrating stored emails elsewhere (heaven forbid, to a
| standard format like mbox) is darn near impossible without hefty third-party
| assistance.
`----

http://www.edn.com/blog/400000040/post/400041640.html

Recent:

AP dumps Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Until now AP used Microsoft's MSN media player to distribute videos. Vole
| flogged ads alongside the material, sharing the revenue with AP.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/24/ap-dumps-microsoft

All Russian Schools to Use Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| I've often lamented how few schools in the UK use free software, and how
| difficult it is to break the lock that Microsoft has on the entire
| educational system. The pathetic state here is highlighted by contrast with
| Russia, which is making amazing strides in rolling out open source to
| schools.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1423&blogid=14

Washington DC latest to drop Microsoft for web apps

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081012-washington-dc-latest-to-drop-microsoft-for-web-apps.html