[News] New Federal CTO Pressured to Choose Open Source Software

Rod Johnson On Federal CTO: Promote Open Opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| "Whatever the federal Chief Technology Officer's agenda, Mr. President, think
| big." That was the advice that a group of commercial CIOs, CTOs, and major
| technology company CEOs offered the president on the task before the
| soon-to-be-appointed U.S. chief of technology. Open source developer Rod
| Johnson had another bit of advice: Support open opportunity.
|
| Like many of his fellow CIOs, CTOs, and CEOs, Rod Johnson, CEO of
| SpringSource and lead developer on the Spring project, considered the role of
| a federal CTO as supplying leadership to achieve better value for the
| taxpayer's dollar, greater transparency in government and a national strategy
| on information that includes national security.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/03/rod_johnson_on.html

Understanding what it is to be open source.

,----[ Quote ]
| First and foremost, I think it is best to understand that open source does
| not mean anti-Microsoft. It also does not mean Linux. Although the latter is
| licensed under an open source license (GPLv2). If you pay careful attention
| there are numerous open source projects such as Mozilla Firefox, MySQL,
| Apache Server, GIMP, etc. that are available on a wide range of operating
| platforms including Microsoft Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| Second, open source does not mean free. Free software is another category and
| depending on the licenses used can determine how free an open source
| application is. When it comes to free software there is a saying: “Free as in
| speech, not as in free beer.” I would delve more deeply into this topic but
| it is one meant for another posting.
`----

http://blog.hydrasystemsllc.com/2009/03/04/understanding-what-it-is-to-be-open-source/

Recent:

ConsultationXML is now Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| We’re terribly, fantastically pleased to announce that after a bit of
| wrangling, Steph Gray and I are able to release ConsultationXML as open
| source software under the GNU Affero license. The recent report on open
| source software in Government hinted that departments ought to try to release
| source code for the software they commission, and we’re delighted to be (we
| think!) the first to do so.
`----

http://www.thedextrousweb.com/2009/02/consultationxml-is-now-open-source/

The great British open-source arms race